Defamation at State Representative Committee Meeting

S

sarah4567

Jurisdiction
Michigan
Hi,

An ex spouse of mine recently attended a State Representative Committee meeting and presented a testimony to help get the bill passed. His testimony dealt with our relationship and in this testimony he specifically mentioned his name, his age, my age, and the duration of our relationship(my name was not mentioned). Since this time, the story has been featured in the news and online in multiple articles, videos, and pictures. So for people who were aware of our relationship, it is very obvious that he is referring to me.

Now, the issue I have with this is the testimony was purposely very misleading, contained lies, and also contained quotes of mine that he changed on purpose to fit his lies. In this instance I am wondering what my rights are if any?

Could he possibly be in trouble for perjury?
Could I pursue defamation damages of some kind even if my name wasn't directly mentioned.
I was told that he requested to not have his name shared in the press or in videos. However, I am not sure if this is true. If I pursue a defamation, would this create issues?

Those are my main questions for now. Any help that anyone could provide on this issue would be very much appreciated. I just wanted to get an initial overview before I begin to look for a lawyer to possibly take on this case.

People are immune from defamation lawsuits when they testify under oath in court or to governmental bodies.

You are free to speak to a lawyer or two for clarification.

Thanks for the quick reply. Even if this testimony was voluntary and I have extremely concrete evidence that proves he lied I have no defamation rights or civil rights of any kind - I just want to fully clarify?

So the only option I would possibly have is a perjury claim? I realize this maybe a topic for another forum now, but is this even something I can pursue as an individual or does the government decide whether not they will go after this?

I will speak to a lawyer for more clarification and again thanks for the help!

Thanks for the quick reply. Even if this testimony was voluntary and I have extremely concrete evidence that proves he lied I have no defamation rights or civil rights of any kind - I just want to fully clarify?

So the only option I would possibly have is a perjury claim? I realize this maybe a topic for another forum now, but is this even something I can pursue as an individual or does the government decide whether not they will go after this?

I will speak to a lawyer for more clarification and again thanks for the help!

Sure, I'm certain most any lawyer will be happy to discuss your concerns.

No, you can't pursue perjury.
If the testimony was perjured, only the local prosecutor can pursue criminal charges.

ALL testimony given under oath is protected from defamation claims.

People testifying are immune from lawsuits because of the testimony given in court or by a governmental body.

Back