Deceived by University via a "4-year Fixed-Rate Tuition Plan". Overpaid more than $4500 dollars.

jake elliot

Jurisdiction
New York
Let me preface this by saying I have not mentioned the university by name as I don't want to give them a heads up that I'm about to take legal action, nor do I want to create more problems. I would greatly appreciate any and all insight on the following situation:

After I was accepted into the university, and before I even began my first-year semester, the university's financial aid office reached out to my family and I about a "4-year Fixed-Rate Tuition Plan" that would "save me money over the course of 4 years". Being that I was a minor at the time (17), I could not solely agree to the fixed-rate contract, so my parent and I visited the financial aid office for more insight. There a financial aid office representative sat down and spoke with us about the fixed-rate plan. Being that I was a student with a 0 EFC (the lowest EFC a student can have), the university felt that I could benefit greatly from a fixed-rate tuition plan due the fact that I was an extremely low-income student. The representative went on to explain that I could only save money by agreeing to the fixed-rate plan, and made no mention of the fact that I could actually lose money if tuition never substantially went up. Basically I would agree to pay approximately $40,000 a year, while tuition currently was about $38,000. Essentially when tuition "eventually" went past $40,000, I would supposedly benefit by being locked-in at $40,000. To the best of my recollection (this occurred in 2014), my parent agreed and eventually signed the contract. Since I was only 17, my signature alone would not be enough, and I do not recall if I signed the contract. I also was never provided a copy of the contract. I would not be surprised if the university doesn't have a copy either. Nonetheless, my undergraduate tuition was now locked-in at $40,000 a year with little explanation other than the fact that it would most definitely "save me money in the long run".

Here's the issue though, tuition never went past that locked-in amount during the entirety of the 4-years and I was stuck overpaying almost $4,500 total more during that 4 year period until I eventually graduated. I was forced to make out-of-pocket payments to the university as my scholarships (along with federal and state aid) did not cover the excess amount of tuition I was now being billed. As a low-income student this was extremely difficult and I felt that I was taken advantage of by the university. I was deceived and lied to by the university, and at one point the university even promised to refund me in-full for the overpaid amount (both in email and verbally!) I will now go into detail about the numerous contacts I had with the university financial aid office over the course of the 4-years regarding this issue.

During my sophomore/2nd year, the university made the abrupt decision to freeze tuition at $38,000 for *all* students. Unfortunately, as a "fixed-rate" student I was still stuck paying the $40,000 a year. I quickly realized I was being screwed, and I contacted the financial office via email attempting to get out of the fixed tuition plan, and to receive a refund for the amount I had overpaid so far. They stated that I could cancel the contract, but that I would not be refunded the overpaid amount for the previous year. I then attempted to cancel the fixed-rate plan, and the university prevented me from doing so and told me "they were mistaken" and that the contract is final. I have this entire conversation in email. Again a representative assured me that I would "save money in the long-run". Over the next few months I went back and forth with the financial office and it went nowhere. They insisted that the "contract was final".

Then came my third-year. Tuition did rise to about $39,000 this year, but I was still stuck paying $40,000 again. Additionally, being I was a business student, a tuition differential of $1500 per year kicked in during my junior and senior year. I was under the impression that the fixed-rate contract prevented that as the representative had promised it would when my parent signed the agreement. Apparently the representative was misinformed as I landed up having to pay that $1500 like everyone else (on top of the $40,000 a year tuition). The university later insisted that was in the fine print on the contract. Basically my tuition landed up not even being a fixed-cost as the differential still kicked in. The summer before the third year began I was furious about this and was finally able to get an appointment with the "financial aid office director". I explained the issue to him, and he told me that this had happened numerous times in the past and each time the student was refunded the overpaid when they graduated. He assured me both verbally and IN-EMAIL that I would be refunded the overpaid amount, and that I could cancel the fixed-tuition agreement. I submitted a request to cancel the agreement. Weeks later after I had already began my third year at the university, the director contacted me via email again stating that the agreement could not be cancelled and that he was "mistaken". He made no mention of a refund, despite having promising it in email form and verbally, and the financial aid office began ghosting any of my emails on the topic. Any attempts to meet with the director again in-person were denied, and each time I visiting the financial office I was forced to talk with a rep that could not assist me. The fourth year eventually came and tuition did eventually rise to almost $40,000, but I was still out the almost $5,000 from the three prior years. I eventually graduated and that was that.

Now I'm looking to take legal action. The university is located in New York state, and I live in New York state. I have never taken legal action against anyone and have no experience with any of this. Is this something I can take to small claims being that the amount is less than $5,000 and the time period is less than 5 years? Or do I need a lawyer for this? Are there any free resources that I should know about that would assist me? Anyone I should contact? Basically, where do I even begin with an extremely complicated issue like this? I would greatly appreciate any information on how to proceed with this, and I apologize for the very long post.

Unless your contract allowed for a reduction in the amount you paid, I don't see that you really have any case.

Unless your contract allowed for a reduction in the amount you paid, I don't see that you really have any case.

Thank you for the reply. I don't have a copy of the contract, but to my recollection I don't believe it had any mention of reductions regarding the amount. I suppose I would summarize my issue by stating that I believe that the university mispresented the benefits of the agreement and failed to mention that I could actually land up paying more.

The representative was also misinformed and insisted that I would not have to pay the differential since I was locking into a fixed-rate plan. I recall the contract being extremely confusing and ambiguous. My parent took the reps advice and signed the contract. Then of course I was surprised in my 3rd year when the $1500 differential was added to my bill and the financial office pointed out that the fixed rate agreement stated I would have to pay the differential.

How would I establish that my parent was misled when they signed the agreement? Essentially we were given bad info when agreeing to the fixed rate tuition plan, and the plan was advertised as a "savings plan."

Thank you for the reply. I don't have a copy of the contract, but to my recollection I don't believe it had any mention of reductions regarding the amount. I suppose I would summarize my issue by stating that I believe that the university mispresented the benefits of the agreement and failed to mention that I could actually land up paying more.

The representative was also misinformed and insisted that I would not have to pay the differential since I was locking into a fixed-rate plan. I recall the contract being extremely confusing and ambiguous. My parent took the reps advice and signed the contract. Then of course I was surprised in my 3rd year when the $1500 differential was added to my bill and the financial office pointed out that the fixed rate agreement stated I would have to pay the differential.

How would I establish that my parent was misled when they signed the agreement? Essentially we were given bad info when agreeing to the fixed rate tuition plan, and the plan was advertised as a "savings plan."

Did they not read the agreement?

Did they not read the agreement?

Unfortunately yes......at least not thoroughly enough.

With that said, within the last few minutes I've since learned through a fellow student that the university eventually provided refunds to affected students. On the university's website it reads "The tuition freeze caused the University to provide partial tuition refunds to students on the fixed rate plan because these students were now paying more than other students who were in the traditional (i.e., nonfixed rate) plan."

Unfortunately I never received this refund despite having requested it. Basically I was denied the refund while other students in the same exact situation did in fact receive the refund. How should I proceed about getting said refund? The university ignores my requests. Does this demonstrate that the university admitted fault or that they initially mislead students?

You need to think of the Fixed-Rate Tuition Plan as insurance. If you had car insurance for four years with no accident the insurance company isn't going to hand you back all of your paid premiums if you don't have a claim.

I paid a "fixed-rate" for a kitchen remodel a few years back. We paid a decent amount more than we could have had we not gone with this contractor. As it turned out, we came out ahead when the contractor found some structural damage in one of the walls and also when he had to completely upgrade our electrical panel instead of just mickey-mousing it.

If a legal remedy exists, you (OP) have no legal remedy.

Why?

Your parental units signed the alleged contract.

You allegedly benefited from the contract, but weren't obligated to it.

I suspect that is why the university IGNORED your entreaties.

I appreciate all the replies here, but I want to reiterate that I didn't actual benefit from the fixed-cost promised as I landed up having to pay a tuition deferential in my 3rd and 4th year that initially was said to be included in the fixed rate when my parents signed for the plan. Therefore I never experienced the supposed stability or benefit of having a fixed cost throughout the 4-year time. I also should have noted that my parents never received a copy of the signed agreement. The university claims that the agreement states I would be responsible for the deferential, but I have no way to verify if that was in the contract my parents signed. I graduated about 2 years ago and as mentioned the university has ignored my messages since then. I held off any legal action due to COVID and am now ready to take any action I can.

As for the refunds issued by the university: Can the university really just arbitrarily issue refunds only to certain students while denying others? Could I make the case that there was some sort of possible discriminatory practices here in the issuance of refunds? Basically students in the same exact situation as myself requested refunds at the same time as myself, yet I was denied and their request was granted and they were permitted to terminate their fixed-rate plan altogether. I was forced to remain in the plan and given no such refund (perhaps the university realized that my low EFC would lead to increased Federal Loans being granted if I had a higher cost of attendance, and therefore it would be in the university's best interest to keep me on the plan, and remove those who were less likely to come up with the additional funds.)

Once again I appreciate any info as I need any assistance I can get. I am a total novice when it comes to a situation like this. What I'm alleging is that the university has lied to me repeatedly, and I even have emails of them backtracking and contradicting themselves. At one point they even promised me a refund, but then messaged me weeks later and backtracked on that as well. I also have really no clear idea what was in the contract. They could have altered the actual contract for all I know, and it's unclear if they even have the original copy that was signed.

Last edited:
What I'm alleging is that the university has lied to me repeatedly, and I even have emails of them backtracking and contradicting themselves.

You'll have to PROVE, not ALLEGE, if you pursue this issue in court.

Lawsuits are about proof, not mere allegations, suppositions, or suspicions.

The university knows this, and is prepared to rebut your allegations.

You'll have to PROVE, not ALLEGE, if you pursue this issue in court.

Lawsuits are about proof, not mere allegations, suppositions, or suspicions.

The university knows this, and is prepared to rebut your allegations.

I definitely get this, and could prove it as they were naïve enough to lie via email. I have retained all email communication I had with any representative. My main question is how would I go about getting them to hand me the signed contract that my parent's supposedly agreed to? As stated they ignore my messages. Should I seek an attorney?

My main question is how would I go about getting them to hand me the signed contract that my parent's supposedly agreed to?

The contract was signed by your parental units.

YOU aren't a signatory to the contract.

The university has no legal duty to respond to you or your demands.

As stated they ignore my messages.

They are wise to ignore you.

The university owes you nothing.

Should I seek an attorney?

You (as does every other person in the USA) have a Constitutional right to be represented by an attorney.

You alone are free to decide whatever trips your fancy.

It sounds to me like you are not a party to the contract (as pointed out above). Yes, I suggest that you speak with an attorney about this matter.

Why can't your parent(s) pursue this?

Would my parent be the individual to pursue this? I just assumed I would need to as I was the student responsible for the tuition payments. My parent never made any tuition payments. Would they be able to sue even though they aren't actually out any money?

Would my parent be the individual to pursue this? I just assumed I would need to as I was the student responsible for the tuition payments. My parent never made any tuition payments. Would they be able to sue even though they aren't actually out any money?
The contract would need to be reviewed to know for sure. It's entirely possible that you affirmed the contract (by making the payments and utilizing the services) after you turned 18.

Alright thanks to everyone in the thread. I will look to consult with an attorney specializing in education law and/or contracts as I'm now sure this is way to convoluted to pursue in small claims.

Back