Deceased fathers home (no will) kids from 1st wife vs 2nd wife(name not on estate)

Dep S

Jurisdiction
Illinois
My father passed away about 1.5 years ago without a will. His 2nd wife, whose name is not on the estate, went through my deceased father's possessions and sold off or threw away most of what he had before my sister and I (from his first wife and his only offspring) were even told he had passed. The 2nd wife messaged my mother saying she (2nd wife) found the social security cards and birth certificate of my sister and I, and for $1,000, my mother could have them back. She messaged this through facebook messenger and I have screenshots.
We have not had any contact with her before this, nor after & we still have not gotten our SS or certificates back.

We talked to a real estate lawyer that my mother had used before and he repeatedly told my sister and I that we would get 50% of the equity and the 2nd wife gets 50%.
This would have been acceptable. During our initial talk with the lawyer, we told him we did not have the time or money to fight over the house, if she agrees to 50%, then so do we. He told us she wouldn't be able to do anything with the house without the signature of my sister and I. So we figured if she was going to fight for more, we wouldn't sign anything.
What our lawyer failed to tell my sister and I, was the spousal award statute. If we had known the 2nd would get 20k minimum, we wouldn't have signed anything. I view this as willful deceit by our lawyer, who did not mention this, or even as a possibility. If we knew, we wouldn't have signed anything, and we wouldn't have needed to hire that lawyer. So it seems he withheld that info to convince use to hire him, so he could get a quick, easy payday.
Equity was 30k. After burial and other claims, the remaining amount was just under 20k. Which is now going to the 2nd wife as spousal award and my sister and I get $0. Not only $0, but we are -$1,500 under for paying our lying lawyer in the first place.
I'm at a loss with this situation.
Is there something to be done about the 2nd wife trying to extort money from my mom via the SS cards and birth certificate of my sister and I?
Is there any way to salvage or get the 50% equity that our lawyer practically garunteed us? It is set to close the later part of this year.
Is there anything about my current lawyer lying/withholding critical decision making info to persuade us into hiring him for a quick payday?
50% of the equity would have been just under 10k for my sister and I, which her and I would then split. It may not be much to some but would be a great help to us.
Additional info if it helps, State: Illinois. My sister and I are his only kids and from his first marriage. He had only been married to that 2nd wife for 1-2 years. He passed from covid during the pandemic.
He also had a gun collection and the 2nd wife doesn't seem like the type to handle the disposal/registration properly, leaving me to wonder what she did with them.

Any info, suggestions, or advice you could give would be greatly appreciated.
Also, I apologize and thank you for the time taken to read all of this.

Any info, suggestions, or advice you could give would be greatly appreciated

Condolences upon the loss of your father.

The issue that'll stymie you here is even if the law could make you whole, more than likely the turkey buzzard (surving spouse) is flat broke after feasting on her recent windfall.

If you sued the thieving buzzard, prevailed in your lawsuit, its extremely doubtful if the buzzard retains $1,000 of her looting.

Having experienced similar scoundrels absconding with the loot of a deceased, dearly beloved; the rats rarely are solvent enough to make their victims whole.

As far as birth certificates or social insecurity cards, just order replacements from the applicable governmental bodies.

SS lost card:
Social Security Number and Card | SSA

Birth certificate in Illinois, for example:
Obtain Birth Certificate

Sorry to have to write this, but you might as well accept that whatever losses you suffered were nobody's fault but your father's for not properly planning his estate.

As for your lawyer lying to you, I don't think you will get anywhere with that because you made the mistake of hiring a "real estate" lawyer instead of a "probate" lawyer who would have immediately known about the 20% thing. I wouldn't expect a real estate lawyer to know anything about probate law.

You can file a complaint with the state bar if you like but I doubt if anything will come of it

There is nothing you can do about the 2d wife holding SS cards and birth certificates as hostage because you can get the SS cards free from the SSA and you can order certified copies of your birth certificates for a nominal fee ($15 to $25 - just a wild guess).

Personal property is presumed to be owned by the person who possesses it. After a year and a half, you've got nowhere to go with that.

Except maybe for the gun collection. To legally possess firearms or ammunition, Illinois residents must have a Firearm Owners Identification (FOID) card, which is issued by the Illinois State Police to any qualified applicant.

I don't know enough about FOID to say whether the individual guns are registered or whether the FOID is just for owning unspecified guns.

If you can prove, with documentation (not just say) that the guns were his sole and separate property before he married her, you might be able to squeeze money out of her or recover the collection. I don't know how complicated that might be. Might be something you can do in small claims court without a lawyer. I don't know.

Check with the IL stat police firearms service bureau to see if they have any records of your father's gun ownership.

Firearms Services (illinois.gov)

If they have no records it's likely because in IL vs Brown (2017) the court ruled that FOID dis not apply to possession of firearms "in the home."

What Is A FOID Card - Everything You Need To Know | Legal Heat (mylegalheat.com)

No FOID, no individual gun registration, means no evidence that she didn't have a right to the guns.

Unfortunately, were you to pursue any of this further you may well have to hire an attorney, which could cost you thousands.

I have to tell you that yours is a very common story when 2d spouses commandeer everything to the detriment of the children of the deceased, especially where there is no will that can be enforced through the probate court.

Might just have to lick your wounds and get on with your lives.

What wonderful laws we have in the "Land of the free". 2nd wife is married to him for less than 2 years and gets everything he had.
She remarried to someone else in less than 6 months after my father passed.
As for the "real estate" lawyer, I just couldn't remember the wording when typing at the time but he was a probate lawyer. This was his area of expertise and lied to get a quick, easy payday. Because of his lie, we basically paid him $1,500 to give the 2nd wife 20k. Whereas if he didn't lie and we didn't sign, it would be $0 for all involved. That's what irritates me the most.
He practically guaranteed us that both sides get 50% after 6 months.
Her lawyer then lied to ours when they said they filed the notice if Publication. My lawyer took their word and did not get proof or confirmation. 6 months later we are told to wait, 3 months later told to wait. Then told they didn't file the notice of publication and to wait another 8 months. Then get a list of accounting that she gets 20k. Absolute joke of a system.

What wonderful laws we have in the "Land of the free". 2nd wife is married to him for less than 2 years and gets everything he had.
She remarried to someone else in less than 6 months after my father passed.

Just a casual observation from an old man.

I don't fault our laws.

We have GAZILLION laws, rules, regulations, etc...

I chalk it up the quality and character of today's Homo Sapiens.

The attitude of today's human Simian/Primate is "screw anyone but me, 'cause I gonna get everything I can get".

Remember, she was your beloved father's (may he rest in peace and eternal bliss) choice. He married her.

Back