Debtors prison

Status
Not open for further replies.

ame681

I live in Arizona & had a judgment placed on me for a CC debt. Im unemployed, have vertually NO assets, car, home big items. Only source of income is a Military retirment which I found out is "Excempt". (Something about judgment proof)It isnt much anyways since 35% was awarded to an Ex as a property settlement.
Can a judge throw me in jail for not being able to pay on this civil judgement? I heard you CAN for failing to not fill out a "Debtors Exam". I have no intentions on doing that, but, other than not complying with exam, you cant go to jail, right?

Been watching too many Prison shows in Arizona!
Thanks for any input.

Ame681

Q: Can a judge throw me in jail for not being able to pay on this civil judgement?

A: No; this stuff was abolished shortly after the American Revolution. Don't you read the newspapers?

a judge can issue a warrant if you fail to comply with a court order (oex, interrogatories, etc). depending on your state, the judgment creditor can levy your bank account, seize your personal property and lien your home. very few people are "judgment proof". pay what you owe. it will come back to get you. trust me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back