Debt Wormhole

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodspear

I would like to know if there is legal recourse for a husband who continues to build up debt?
We sold our home to prepare for building a retirement home. We are currently renting until we find land. He was informed that I would not sign any agreement on building a house or buying land until we agree on the money expenditures. The money is invested and cannot be touched by him because it is in both our names. He has been asked several times to come together to communicate and come to an agreement on how our money should be spent. He has not wanted to agree on a budget or an allowance or nothing. He spends $600.00 to $700.00 a month on dining out. He comes home from 1:30 in the morning to sometimes 4:00 in the morning every night. When we sold our house $24,000.00 in home equity debt was paid off and we had zero debt. Any attempt at communication with him would always result in frustration because he would play dumb or avoid the issues. I had to resort to communicating in writing. Alot of the discussions involving our agreements are in writing. However, each agreement we made was not kept by him. He would always say he thought it meant this or that. I pulled all my money out of the accounts and opened my own accounts so he could not touch my money. I pulled my name off all the accounts except the household bills such as electric, telephone, etc. We have one joint savings and checking account. I had to pay $1700.00 in overdraft because he kept spending money that we did not have. I closed the overdraft protection after it was paid and opened up a separate household account in my name so I could tranfer money to pay bills from the joint account before he would spend the money foolishly. He now continues to spend money we don't have and the account gets charged $35.00 each time an item is submitted for payment causes the account to be overdrawn. I informed him that I would not come together with the money until we could agree on how the money is spent. We also have an agreement in writing that we would live on his income to see how we do on one income in preparation for my retirement. I am now in the processing of moving my accounts to another banking establishment. He now took a cash advance from his job of $7000.00. He does not commicate with me about any of the money or what he is doing. I do not want to be responsible for any debt from him. What additional action can I take to protect myself? Is there a legal letter or something else I can do? HELP!!!!!!!!

In ancient Greece, a classic play was written called "The Trojan Women". It took place in the City of Troy, and at that time, all the men were warriors who were constantly leaving their wives to go off to fight in various battles in foreign lands. The Greek wives in those days did not even think about cheating on their husbands and like all women, they had powerful sexual needs but their needs could not be met because their husbands were not there to do it for them. As their sexual frustration increased to an intolerable level, they became more and more unhappy about the situation. One day the wives called a city meeting to discuss their problem and they all agreed on a very simple solution. They decided to withhold all sexual favors from their husbands until every single one of the men agreed to stop going off to war once and for all. When the husbands came home to their wives and wanted to have sex with them, they couldn't believe the situation they were confronted with. Of course they got extremely angry and even violent about it. But every single one of the wives stuck to the agreement they had made with each other and none of them surrendered to their violent husbands. The eventual result was that the husbands caved in to the will of their wives and they all agreed to stop the wars. Too bad American women are not prepared to do the same thing.

http://www.starcrost.com/entertainment/sexualpower.php

I get the jist of the story, without getting into my sexual relationship, where is the legal advise that would assist me with proceeding with a solution to this issure?

Quite honestly, as long as you stay married to him and he does not realize he has a spending problem and needs to stick to a budget, there is not much you can do.

Have you threatened him with a divorce? Tell him in order to stay married to him he must stop the spending and stick to a budget, otherwise he is going to put you both in the poorhouse and you need to protect yourself financially and if divorce is the only way to get out of this mess, then that is what you might have to resort to.

Him coming home in the early morning hours should be totally unacceptable as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back