Debt collection Lawsuit.

Carp1981

Jurisdiction
Pennsylvania
Hello all, I was sued by a junk debt buyer in 2016. The ruling by the district magistrate was judgment for defendant ( which was myself). There was no appeal so I assumed I didn't owe the money to them case closed. I was checking my credit report and this debt is showing back up in mid 2017 with a new collection agency reporting it. I contacted them and they say I owe the money because no where on the court transcript does it say dismissed therefore i'm still liable for the debt. I'm confused as I thought a judgment on my behalf was better than a dismissal. Thanks for your help.

It is time for you to meet with a lawyer.
Those rascals have little to fear from you.
Rascals often have great fear of a good attorney.
Good luck.

I'm confused as I thought a judgment on my behalf was better than a dismissal.

It was.

I suggest you visit the courthouse and get copies of everything in the case file so you can see what the judge wrote. Get some certified copies of his decision so you can send them to the creditor and the credit bureaus.

If that doesn't clear the record, then get a lawyer.

I agree, a letter to the agency reporting the debt that includes a copy of a judgment in your favor regarding the debt should clear it up.
Written communication is far more meaningful than anything said on the phone.
Send them the information and demand they stop reporting a delinquent debt.

Who are "they" and "them" to whom you referred in your post (e.g., "I contacted them and they say I owe. . . .")?

Back