Debt collection, from the company I WORK FOR

Viking793

Jurisdiction
Tennessee
Hi:

This is a rather complicated issue. First , let me explain the setup. The company that I work for, which is a supplier of merchandise, allows employees to purchase items on their personal account. Thus, last year, I ordered an item for over $300.00. Due to some personal issues, it has taken a long time to pay. Necxt, several months ago, the credit manager of our company sent out an email to two of my bosses. The email contained a copy of my bill, the amount owed, and a request to my bosses to help them recover the owed debt. Thus, my question is, what, if any, violations might present themselves in this situation? Am I protected by debt collection law, despite the fact that I WORK FOR THE company?

what, if any, violations might present themselves in this situation?

None, you admit to owing the debt and have so far failed to pay the debt.

Am I protected by debt collection law, despite the fact that I WORK FOR THE company?

Yes, you enjoy all the protections our laws and constitution allows, so does the company.

I suggest you pay the debt in full.

You received the merchandise, and have yet to fully pay for it.

Federal debt collection laws only apply to third-party debt collectors. You can google to see if your state has anything that might apply to an original creditor. However, (1) this is a rather obvious consequence of doing business with your employer and then defaulting on your payment obligation; and (2) the credit manager communicating with your boss is essentially an internal communication and highly unlikely to be covered by any applicable law.

Back