deaths

Status
Not open for further replies.

fisherman

Before my mother died i had permision to withdraw money from her account to pay her bills etc, can i continue doing this to pay any outstanding bills without informing the bank of her death.

Before my mother died i had permision to withdraw money from her account to pay her bills etc, can i continue doing this to pay any outstanding bills without informing the bank of her death.

I am not a lawyer, but don't think this is a good idea from my own experiences.Make sure if you do this that the bank does not know of her death, or that they will found out. Social security sometimes notifies them. In our case social security deposited money that we did not know about, after his death and then two months later tried to pull it back. They were notified two days after his death. The bank reported the check as fraud, and withdrew the money from our account. They now have closed his checking account, and put the money into his savings. I have given up myself, but good luck to you.

Start probate and get named as the personal representative. Then you can transfer the money to an estate account and pay the bills.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back