Death is never easy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Momas_Girl

My Mother died,in Ga.She had her sister as ex.of her esate,but after she went to the bank and got the 50 thousand my Mom had in there to pay her bills after she died,and her funeral expensies,she decided she did not want to be Ex. anymore,so i payed a lawyer 600.00 dollars and got all of it in my name,not thinking of anything but my moms death,and wishes,i am on SSI,have been since 1990,When Mom died i informed SSI,that i had to take over my Moms estate.No Problem.But Mom had a retirement program,now my brother and i both get $250.a month each till next year.I also told SSI about this at the time i got it.No problem.Now is the problem.Now SSI said i need to repay them becuase they paid me to much with me getting that check.They have dropped my SSI to 406 a month.Which i would not mind but i have breast cancer,and have went through chenmo,where i had to pay for some of my meds.Emid pills.Medicade would pay for them once a month,but i had chemo twice a month.The emid pills are $500.00.I am also in a wheelchair most of the time,i can walk some,but not long due to 2 back surgerys.I love my mother,and i know what she wanted.But due to other things with family member you know how it is when someone dies,you have a flock of people wanting money.I dont have any.And Now SSI says i owe them 39990.00I have been honest with them and told them everything.So what do i do.I cant make it on 406 a month.I had to take out loans to pay for my Mother to be cremated,that she did not want.But i had no other way of doing things.Everyone got what they wanted except Moma and me.Is there any help?

Unfortunately, this is not an uncommon problem. SSA is terrifically underfunded and understaffed and sometimes mistakes like this slip happen.

You can request a full accounting to show where and when you were overpaid, but I have a feeling that they'll be able to prove their case and you'll still owe the money.

Do you have a caseworker?

Thank you so much,im not worried about pauing the money back,if i owe it i owe it.I was just worried that they might try and take my medicade.And as i said i have breast cancer and other health problems.They can have the money,my meds are right at 3 thousand a month.I am not a free loader,i have worked since i was 14 in cotton mills,They said the only reason i did nt get SS was i had to put in 3 more quartes to get that.Not real sure what that means.But any way,Thank you,And God Bless,and Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

You have my heartfelt sympathies - I wish I could have given you more positive news!

It is my understanding however that they cannot take your Medicaid away.

Have as happy a Thanksgiving as you possibly can :)

Thank you so much.I know it took me along time to get back to you,but i have been going trough treatments for breast cancer.Then surgery.May God Bless you and thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back