Dealer asking for more money after signed order and deposit

Status
Not open for further replies.

bangerang

1 week ago I signed off on the purchase of a vehicle that will be built and delivered in the August time frame (an 2012 Audi A4) . I placed a $1000 deposit on this vehicle.

The purchase contract lists the options ordered and the final agreed upon price "out the door".

However, due to an oversight by the sales rep, a required option was left off of the purchase contract. On the dealer order guide, it specifically states that the "S-Line Package" MUST be ordered with the "Sports Package". On my signed order, it only lists the "S-Line Package" without the "Sports Package".

The sales rep is now claiming that I must renegotiate the price of the vehicle as my signed order does not list this additional "Sports Package" even though the "S-Line Package" requires it.

My question is, can I hold the dealer to the signed contract without having to renegotiate?

What recourse do I have if they want to break the contract and refund my deposit?

If they won't play ball with you, you'll have to sue them to try and recover your money.

Before this gets contentious, I'd try and be nice.
Try to work out a deal that satisfies both parties.

If that can't be done, you have two options.

You can sue them in small claims. That takes time and often doesn't satisfy you.

Otherwise, there always is the media.

TV stations sometimes live this crap, and newspapers, too

Then, there always is that "Clark Howard" dude.

Google him. He often can help people in your situation.

Good luck.

If they are willing to break the contract and refund your money then let them. Go make a deal at another dealer where the service meets your needs.
The order was just placed. It will still be quite awhile before the car is even built. There really aren't a lot of complications over this. If they want to save the sale they will work with you.
If the cost of that other package truly wasn't included in the negotiated price then you should expect to pay a little more... you did sign off on a contract that did not list the package. The time to address this was before you signed the contract.
If you think they are being shady and jerking you around then walk away from the deal if they are willing to refund your deposit.

@mightmoose you're correct the contract doesn't have this listed option. Since, the option in question is a requirement for an option that IS listed on the contract, the question becomes, can the vehicle be built as ordered? I tried to get this question answered by Audi of America and they are now looking into the whole situation with the dealer.

Hmm... not sure what you mean now.
The word "option", by definition, means that it is not required.

I see what you are saying, but calling it a required option doesn't make a lot of sense. Hopefully AUdi and the dealer can work it out for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back