Dead Beat Ex-Boyfriend

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlow1958

My jurisdiction is: Nevada USA

My now ex-boyfriend owed his ex-wife $100k and she agreed to a lump sum amount of $30k. In exchange for this $30k a settlement agreement was signed by both parties stating she could not come back at a later date and sue him for the remaining balance. It also stated neither party would contact the other unless an attorney was present.
I signed over a Personal Injury Lawsuit check in the amount of $6k which was given to the attorney handling this settlement case along with a document stating what the money would be used for. His parents loaned him the remaining amount and I helped pay back $7k of this. Oh and after the ex-wife was paid, 3 months later ex-boyfriend went and bought himself a 04 Corvette "because he deserved it for getting the ex out of our life". 2 Attorneys, one in NV and one in CA were paid for their services, his parents were paid back and he got a car. Everyone got paid back but me.
His parents didn't have him sign an agreement, theirs was verbal just like mine because over the last 2 years everytime I mentioned how I helped him pay this debt he always replied "I will give you your *%#@ money back".
When we broke up and I mentioned getting my money back of course now he is saying "what money"? I am preparing to take him to small claims court which I will take a $1k loss. I have proof that I helped him pay this debt and if I have to I will subpoena his parents, they will be hostile witnesses of course, and their bank records to testify they were reimbured and I did help pay them back. I also have an e-mail I sent a friend during this time where it states I was signing over $6k to help him.
I've verbally told him I am doing this and he is now gathering receipts for things he paid over the past 2 years to use as proof of repayment in court. He never said anything about this repayment until now. I am sure that before he counters with this he will claim the money was a gift which I believe the judge will disagree. My question is, can his receipts show repayment to where the judge would rule we are even?
I also found out after we broke up he did cotact his ex-wife and now are on speaking terms because of the grandkids. Because he refuses to pay me back, in my eyes I helped pay for an agreement that is now null and void and this should entitle me to be repaid. For breach of contract.

I appreciate any reply and advice on how to present this in court.

You present this to the court with all the documentary and other evidence you have.

Make sure there is a copy for the court and a copy for the opposing attorney.

I appreciate your prompt response, I am doubting he will hire an attorney but of course I will have copies of all my documents for everyone's review.
My question is still unanswered, can his receipts show repayment to where the judge would rule we are even or does he need more proof to make it convencing?

Q: My question is still unanswered, can his receipts show repayment to where the judge would rule we are even or does he need more proof to make it convencing?

A: No one can answer that in advance of the trial on this lawsuit.

If its Small Claims court there are no Attorneys. I also noticed nowhere in your statements of evidence is the word loan mentioned. You mention you "helped" him not that you "loaned" him anything. The arguement coud be made that your money was a "gift" because you were intimate at time. Now that you broke up the money is an issue. Not saying this is case but this might be where case leads. If you have no docuements or witiness statements where your Ex says he will pay back or that money was loan it might be a tough road for you

I am still going to present my case in Small Claims and have faith that the judge is fair and see's the truth. Thanks for your response.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back