Daughters landlord has threatened eviction even though she has agreed to move out ASA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jjones

North Carolina. My daughter & her fiancé' relocated to NC recently moved into a house that is owned by his friends. The house needed major repairs, which many were done by finance, in lieu of rent for first 2 months. They have only bed in less than 45 days and the fiancé and his friend had " a falling out" and the friend now wants them out of the house.
My daughter has agreed to move out asap and she & I have frantically searched for other housing but living in the outer banks area of NC long term or winter rentals will not begin until after Sept. 1st. Now they are threatening eviction. This will greatly impact any future rental if they proceed. What should we do now?

Find another living situation ASAP, but an eviction could take 30-45 days to be heard. They don't want one filed. A mere eviction filing can cause you difficulty in renting. So, a long term hotel for a couple weeks might be an option. Otherwise, try to reach an understanding, if possible, with the landlord. That said, an eviction can't be filed on a whim. In this case, the landlord would have to offer them notice to vacate. I suspect that alone would allow them 30 days notice by statute as long as no unpaid rent or lease violation issues exist. Yes, they have a lease, even if the there is no signed lease. It's a lease operating under state statute, which you can Google (NC tenancy at will). Just tell them to get busy looking and try to get out within the next 2-3 weeks.

The question allows fro more complexity because of the length of the OBX. Certain areas are closer to inland housing, out of the tourist area. That is the best solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back