Daughter in car accident

Status
Not open for further replies.

danok10

My minor daughter was in a car accident with a friend. They were in the back seat and the father was driving. The car was hit on the passenger side, where my daughter was sitting. She hit her head and had a knot on it. Everone else okay. Because she is a minor and no parents were there they took her to hospital via ambulance. Did normal tests all appeared fine. Over the next week she had many headaches, some s.chool missed. we took her to a Er type facility and they did some normal tests for the headaches and some facial pain. No other follow up needed, just continue to take ibuprofen.
A few months have past and the insurance company is wanting to settle. Bills are around $2700. They have offered 3500 with the signing of a release. What should we expect in terms of a settlement and should we sign? Everything appears to be back to normal.

You can never know when kids get injured.

I suggest you speak with an attorney before signing anything.

If you have the right lawyer, she could receive three, maybe quadruple the three grand you've been offered.

The initial consultation is free.

Thanks for the advice. I am wanting to make sure that if I do sign th release, it is the right thing to do.

I'm facing a similar scenario myself. I have been offered a tempting settlement, but I think I will talk to a lawyer before I accept.

I'm facing a similar scenario myself. I have been offered a tempting settlement, but I think I will talk to a lawyer before I accept.

That is very prudent.

Why?

Victims that have lawyers usually receive three to five times more than victims without legal representation.

Allowing for the attorney's standard 33% fee, you'd still receive a much larger settlement.

Here's an example:

If the insurance company is offering you $1,000 without an attorney, let's say an attorney got you $4,000.

In example one, you get a measly $1,000.

In example two, you get $4,000, less 1/3 to your lawyer, netting you about $2,640; after the attorney takes 1/3 (or $1,360).

That is if the offer is only 400% greater.

That is the LOWER end of what a GOOD attorney can do for you!!!!

Actually not exactly correct. If the bills were $1000. The insurance offers $2000 to settle, you get $1000. If a lawyer gets $3000, he gets $1000, you get $1000 and the bills are $1000.

Actually not exactly correct. If the bills were $1000. The insurance offers $2000 to settle, you get $1000. If a lawyer gets $3000, he gets $1000, you get $1000 and the bills are $1000.

That might be true, if one had a stupid lawyer.

I take my cut out of the money that exceeds my client's settlement offer.

I always structure the settlement agreement to treat medical expenses and repair costs separately.

Those are a given.

What a smart lawyer does is get you money above the costs you've expended!

My example was in reference to the way a lawyer customarily figures their percentage. You are just not normal judge.:angel

I would never accept a final settlement or claim without a lawyer. Granted, the lawyer could tell you that it's a good deal and to sign it but usually they are hoping that the person accepts it without talking with a lawyer first. The fact that your daughter continues to have problems, I would think there's a possibility that the medical costs could continue past that settlement amount.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back