Damaged car

Same

A nineteen yrs old allowed a nine years old to move a car and doing so rhe child cause major damage ; are the parents responsible for paying any damage. Also isnt the nineteen yrs old guilty of child endangerment?

Does the 19 year old own the car? Does he have car ins.? The 19 year old never should have allowed the 9 year old to move the car. It is "possible" the 9 year old's parents may be responsible for damage.

What type of damage are we talking here - to the car and/or property?

A nineteen yrs old allowed a nine years old to move a car and doing so rhe child cause major damage ; are the parents responsible for paying any damage. Also isnt the nineteen yrs old guilty of child endangerment?

It's almost certain the parents are responsible for the damage caused (a) because they are the owners of the car - as the child is not; (b) there may be negligence per se in having an unlicensed nine year old driver move the car. Child endangerment, perhaps not but I wouldn't rule it out or put that one into the file in the event some other mindless event occurs.

Do we know that the parents owned the car? (Could have been a 19 yr. old neighbor for example who owned the car)

Last edited:
It does not matter who owned the car. The child's parents are responsible for the child's actions. It is most likely the insurance company would deny any claim made on this.
For what it's worth, so long as the vehicle was not being operated on the road there is not necessarily anything wrong or illegal about the child operating the car. If this occurred on private property or in a private parking lot then damages most likely will have to be resolved in small claims if the involved parties can't work it out.

It just doesn't seem right though that the 19 year old adult who let a 9 yr. old move his car is off the hook completely & gets his car repaired by the parents of the 9 yr. old. They could have different parents. We don't really know where the child moved the car at & if there was damage to the car and/or other property. We don't really have complete details - they will have to work it out. They can try & see what ins. co.(s) say. I guess it "could" end up going to court - depends.....

The 19 year old isn't of the hook, he has a damaged car he will likely have to pay for himself. Only the other owner would be reimbursed by the kids parents.
If this did occur in the street or somewhere a license is required then the 19 year old could also have been cited under traffic laws.

Apparently I did read in to it. I thought the OP had property damaged and is not the 19 year old. I'm not sure what the damage was.

If the only damage is to the 19 year old's car then he really is out of luck

Last edited:
We don't even know really if another car was involved - not much detail at all.

Back