Dad wants to get custody from unwilling Grandma w/Permenant Guardianship

Status
Not open for further replies.

na6446

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

In 2005 the mother of my kids left our 2 children with her mother who is also married to a bi-polar man. I was in jail for a crime I had commited that was not related to family or my kids. The mother of my children was using drugs at the time and the grandparents went for permenant guardianship and the reason on the court papers gave this information as for the reason as to why the grandparents want guardianship. The court granted it after my signature was the last needed. I was in jail for 1 year (until early 2006) and had 2 years of probation left. When I was released from prison I was determined to be the best Dad I can to my children. I had asked the grandma "I would like to take my kids every weekend instead of my ordered visitation of every other weekend" and she agreed. The Mother at this time was still on drugs and stripping for a living and was not involved with our kids but maybe once a month. This had gone on for about 14 months.

After a few months of getting out of prison I had asked the grandma if I can raise my children and even cryed saying I love my kids and will do a great job raising them. She had told me she would think about it. Well a month went by and I brought this up again and asked what her answer was. She said not at this time fearing I would end up back in jail, since I had a track record of it. I understood her point and I knew I could prove myself. A year went by and I was working but then got laid off and it took a few months for me to find another job but I was doing side jobs for cash and still making a living but I made the mistake of lieing to the grandma saying I was working through out that time and my kids Mom had told her I was not. I had asked for custody of my kids again and she brought up the fact that I didnt tell her I was not working and that how can she trust me and it was a no once again! This was in late 2007.

My kids really want to live with me and at this time my kids Mom seem to be getting her act together and has now taken one of my weekends away to see our kids (which is fine with me but hurts because I miss them) I had talked to my kids Mom about splitting custody 50/50 and she said she would like to do that but not until summer of 2009. I do not want to wait until then and would like to raise my kids NOW! And will even let my kids mom in on the custody but will have them live with me full time until then but she does not want to make her Mother upset and her Mom fears that I will not let her*kids mom) get custody and so I think that is the reason the Grandmother will not let me raise my kids right now. The grandpa has said mean things to my son like he is fat and that Dad buys clothes from goodwill and for him to loose weight. (my son is not fat at all, just a little bit husky) I had found a good job and make enough money to raise my kids and am living on a farm and having my retired Mother to help me with my kids makes it even better for my kids. A month ago my son told me that the grandma told him I need to keep and hold a job before he and sister can live with me. I think she acts like he and my daughter are her own kids and in fact have become so attached that she can not let them go and is coming up with all these excuses! I am not even allowed into their home to visit with my kids! The Grandpa hates me for things I did 10 years ago when I was under age. I am 100% a changed man and want my kids but need some advise from you all!!! What should I do besides talk to a lawyer that I can not afford?

Oh and another things that just came up, A week or so ago I was dropping off my kids to the grandma and I told her that she should get some rest because she looked tired and she said she had a long day. Well my son blurted out "grandma has a lot of time to rest since she does not work anymore" I quick glanced over at her and she looked at my son like he was not supposed to tell me that! I had asked the grandma if my son said something he was not supposed to and she paused and said "no its ok" And went on explaining to me that she was let go from her job. Now how can she think of me as someone who can't hold a job and tell my kids this when she got the same thing done to her! And on top of that, I sure don't think she was ever going to tell me that she lost her job, just like I didnt want to tell her when I lost mine!!!!!

PLEASE HELP!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back