Criminal Trials, Hearings DA can do whatevr they want

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmm60

The Da has filed a criminal case against me, and I am not guilty of what they are charging me with. My question is why does the DA get away with doing whatever he wants. The DA knows that money is an issue and that I don't have a bunch of money to pay for a lawyer, and knows that if he puts it off long enough I will not have the money to pay for my lawyer when it goes to trial. The readiness hearing was set for Oct 16th, but has been postponed several times since then, because the DA did not give their discovery to my attorney in time for him to review it, and then because they did not have a $ amt as to what they think I am responsible for in the charges against me. I have spent about $50,000 so far in attorney's fees, already refinanced my home to do that, and now because the DA keeps postponing it I will not be able to pay my atorney to represent me at the trial since he says that I would have to pay him up front what $amt they think I will owe them, possibly somewhere around $15,000. This is what the DA has wanted all along, knowing that if they delayed it long enough I would run out of money before it went to trial.
What is wrong with our system that I have had to go through all of this, spend what I have worked so hard to have for retirement and then it is all for nothing because I can't even afford to go to trial to defend myself! I thought there was a law that protected me by having guidelines as to a speedy trial. Why would the judge not reprimand the DA for his continued effort to postpone the trial? I can understand it once, but it has been postponed now three times, and always because of the DA.
I have really lost faith in our system after all of this, I feel like I have no rights! I have never been in any kind of trouble with the law, no record of any kind. I have worked for the past 44 years to get to this point in my life where I am ready to retire and then to have it all thrown out the window because the DA has got it in his head that I am guilty of something that I had nothing to do with, and the only way I can prove my innocence is by going to trial, and now I can't afford to do that!
I have heard nothing but horrible stories about public defenders and I will not rely on one to defend me in this case because I know it would do me no good.

Your letting your feelings get in the way here. If the DA did not have a case he thought he could win he would not file. Doesnt matter about money etc. If there is not enough evidence to support a conviction one of two things will happen.

A. Defendant will be found not guilty
B. DA wont file

I want to go to court to prove my innocence. The DA has never asked me what my side of the story is. He is going on what information he has from other people.
My point is that by delaying this as long as he has I no longer have the money to pay my lawyer to represent me at the trial. So if I want to go to trial I have to have a public defender represent me,and I have heard a lot of very negative things about public defenders, and all the money I have spent paying my lawyer for the past year has been for nothing since I haven't even had my day in court. Isn't there a law that says I have the right to a trial in a timely matter?
The DA knows that money is an issue for me and that I don't have an unlimited income to pay for representation or insurance that would cover it, and that is exactly why he keeps delaying this process.
If the DA is so sure he has enough evidence to convict then why wouldn't he be anxious for it to go to trial? The delays have all been from him.

My question is why does the DA get away with doing whatever he wants. The DA knows that money is an issue and that I don't have a bunch of money to pay for a lawyer, and knows that if he puts it off long enough I will not have the money to pay for my lawyer when it goes to trial.
No, the DA does what he is legally obligated to do. Presumably, he has sufficient reason to believe that you committed a crime and that he can prove the case beyond a reasonable doubt at trial. Whether that is the case or not, who knows?

possibly somewhere around $15,000. This is what the DA has wanted all along, knowing that if they delayed it long enough I would run out of money before it went to trial.
I suppose intentional delays are possible, but in my expereince delays are usually due to procedural matters brought up by one or both parties. Perhaps your attorney can force the issue somehow?

Why would the judge not reprimand the DA for his continued effort to postpone the trial?
Probably because either what he has done is perfectly lawful, or, your attorney has not objected.

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back