Custody of my nephew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaajmom4

My sister told me would could adopt my nephew so I took time off work for birth and to be home with him. She has been using drugs for fifteen years and has given up custody of her oldest 3 kids and given the last three up for adoption. Almost two weeks after we brought him home she decided she wants him. We had not gone to court yet for custody so I was advised by attorney to give him back. Three days after he was born and baby was with me she got high that is her way to cope with stress. I fear she is not fit or capable of taking care of baby. My husband and I are both stable and we have kids. Anything we can do in ohio to get the baby back?

My sister told me would could adopt my nephew so I took time off work for birth and to be home with him. She has been using drugs for fifteen years and has given up custody of her oldest 3 kids and given the last three up for adoption. Almost two weeks after we brought him home she decided she wants him. We had not gone to court yet for custody so I was advised by attorney to give him back. Three days after he was born and baby was with me she got high that is her way to cope with stress. I fear she is not fit or capable of taking care of baby. My husband and I are both stable and we have kids. Anything we can do in ohio to get the baby back?

You want to help, unfortunately you can't without hurting your existing family unit.

I suggest you look the other way.

What you haven't considered is the baby's father.

Some generally don't care,until they see a sucker adopting his responsibilities.
Other want their child.

Even if you could adopt, the problems soon appear.

The kid was conceived and lived for NINE MONTHS in a body wracked with illegal drugs.

Those symptoms will soon appear, and goodness knows what else will happen.

Adopting children from family members often creates bigger problems a week, a year, or years later.

Be thankful you tried to help, but if you're smart, back off.

She's an addict, and they rarely think straight,and are never grateful.

You've seen it before, as have I.

Sadly, I have two known addicts (suspect a couple more) in my family tree.

I avoid them and their ISSUES like MERS or the BLACK DEATH.

Sadly, I suspect the kid's addiction will manifest itself shortly.

Oh, the lives we ruin....

She doesn't know who the father is. She did a lot of things to get her fix. I'm trying hard to let go, but having a hard time with worrying about the baby's well beimg

She doesn't know who the father is. She did a lot of things to get her fix. I'm trying hard to let go, but having a hard time with worrying about the baby's well beimg

Have you reported this to the police or child protective services?
If the baby is in danger, if anyone's in danger, call the police.
But, CPS would be a good second choice, after reporting it to the police.

The police and CPS can do so much more than you can to help a baby who's in danger.

Last edited:

As it stands right now, you have no rights to the child. Mom can quite literally walk in the front door and demand you hand him back. Not doing so would be a very bad idea.

If the baby is in danger, call Child Services. If not, then sorry, there's nothing you can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back