Custody of 15 year old

Status
Not open for further replies.

port5561

My ex wife has had custody of our son for 10 years with me having visitation. She recently had an affair and left her 2nd husband. Her and the new guy (who left his wife and children) are living together in a hotel. She is letting our son stay with me and my wife until she figures out where to live. She does not have a job or access to any money. Her lover is in trouble with his business and has a lot of people angry with him and there are rumors that he is unstable and has "snapped". There are rumors of drugs but no proof. My ex says her and the new guy will get a house together soon and then wants our son back. I am still paying child support to her, but she is not providing a home, food, clothing, etc. for him. Do you think I have a chance of getting sole custody of my son? I don't want to cause a fight and put my son in the middle of it or for my ex to use going to court as an excuse to get more child support from me (she did that before when I tried to get additional visitation).

How long has he been staying with you?

You can certainly ask for custody. Go file for it. If the 15 year old would rather stay with you than Mom then you have a good chance of getting it. Now would be a good time while mom is living in the hotel.

He has been with us for Summer visitation which was 4 weeks, but continued to stay with us even though he was suppose to go back with his mom after whe told him she left her husband and is with a new man. She told him she was staying with her mother in a one bedroom apartment and there was not enough room for him at this time. That has been 1.5 weeks. Plus we found out she is not with her mother, but in a hotel room with this new guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back