CT car tax deliquent 15 yrs later

Status
Not open for further replies.

karenmcd

After 15 years of paying my registration and taxes on time I was just notified, when I went to renew my car registration that I have a delinquent car tax on the 1999 grand list. The bill in 6/2000 was for $307 but since then it has accrued interest and now I owe $1,059.99. I moved from Calif to Wallingford CT. where I bought the car in question. I registered the car in Wallingford then a short time later moved to Waterbury and have been here since. Why was I never told I owed back taxes? I would have paid if I knew...but for the last 15 years I've bought two other cars and have been current on all their registration and car taxes. Why was I not told I owed back car taxes all this time. This is not right....
So now I cannot renew my current car until I pay these delinquent car tax from 1999 grand list. I just paid $3,800 for property taxes...now I have to come up with $1,059.99 for this. I'M UNEMPLOYED and can't afford this...... CT is killing me!!
I've been on the phone with Wallingford and Waterbury DMV and tax offices and each is blaming the other. Is there anything I can do to minimize the interest accrued?

Can someone confirm that after 15 years this debt collections drops off and they cannot come after you for delinquent car taxes in CT?

Can someone confirm that after 15 years this debt collections drops off and they cannot come after you for delinquent car taxes in CT?

Tax debt, or delinquent taxes never disappear or age off.

I suggest you investigate WHO sent you the notice, as there are several TAX SCAMS being conducted.

From what I've been researching certain taxes do age off. Can someone confirm this for me.
The DMV in CT told me I have a delinquent car tax bill (not registration fees) dated back to 1999. When I called the tax office in that city they told me they have a 15 year window to pursue this collection...after that they cannot collect from me. If this is the case, by 2015 this debt will not be owed. Has anyone experience this?

Ct. -Tax collectors may issue tax warrants to collect outstanding property taxes (Chapter 204 - Sec. 12-135). They may initiate foreclosure proceedings with regard to delinquent real estate taxes (Chapter 204 - Sec. 12-157). They may report taxpayers who are delinquent in paying motor vehicle property taxes to the Department of Motor Vehicles, in which case the taxpayer cannot obtain a registration or registration renewal without providing proof of payment of the outstanding tax. Municipalities may refer delinquent taxpayers to collection agencies and may also use other means to collect taxes that are delinquent.

State law allows for the collection of property taxes within 15 years after a tax due date (Chapter 204 - Sec. 12-164).

http://www.ct.gov/opm/cwp/view.asp?q=383128 (You might want to read the complete link for further info re taxes on cars.)

The above information is for educational/informational purposes only. (not legal advice)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back