Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Criminal summons, should be civil??

Tammy price

Jurisdiction
North Carolina
I rented a house, got evicted, there was a wall heater that the previous land Lord purchased when I moved in, he passed away, left the house to his nephew and his wife, they evicted me. the heater was removed from the wall months before I moved out due to small wall space and we got new furniture, we took it off and stored it in a corner of the kitchen, when we were evicted, I packed boxes beside the heater, my husband had two guys helping him move our stuff, while I was at work, the heater got moved with our stuff with out my knowledge, my husband left on a fishing boat immediately after moving, leaving me with all the unpacking, half the stuff was in the barn, I paid no attention to, while I unpacked the stuff piled inside our new home, we have a family of 9. I was served with a criminal summons for misdemeanor larceny, when I was served, I immediately looked for the heater, found it in the barn, contacted the home owner and tried to return it, they didn't want it. I've spoken with the clerk of court, and he stated it should be a civil case. the district attorney has a grudge against me over a old case and is hard bent on prosecuting me to the fullest. please help, I can't afford an attorney.

If you are being charged with a criminal matter and have proof that you cannot afford an attorney, one will be appointed for you. If you are being sued as a civil matter, you are on your own, unless you can find an attorney who will accept the case pro bono or if Legal Aid will assist you.

If you received a criminal summons for misdemeanor larceny, when you go to court plead not guilty & request a public defender. (A PD is a lawyer)

I can't afford an attorney.

Relax, appear in court, plead NOT guilty, and ask the judge if you qualify for a TAXPAYER funded public defender.

You're better off not committing any crime, but oif you do commit crimes, being financially challenged is great.
The taxpayers pay the bill for your mouthpiece.

Back