Other Criminal Procedure Criminal Restitution Order on Vehicle

whatever333

Jurisdiction
Arizona
I purchased a car in 2013 and it was in my boyfriend's name because insurance was cheaper due to some tickets in my name. My boyfriend died August 2014 and I have just found out that there is a criminal restitution lien in his name against my car. I have a notarized letter that states the above and a notarized Beneficiary Designation form (printed from the motor vehicle department website) which were both done before my boyfriend died. What are my options (other than paying his lien) in getting this lien released so I can transfer title in my name?

The restitution lien is for unpaid fines when he was sentenced to probation September 2005. He violated this probation and went to prison for 1 year and was released August 2006. The order was signed by the court in May 2007.

It's not my restitution and I didn't find out about the lien until after he died. How can they enforce a court order for someone who has passed away?

It's not my restitution and I didn't find out about the lien until after he died. How can they enforce a court order for someone who has passed away?

How?

Because, they're the all powerful government.

Why?

Because, someone wants its money.

Such are the unintended consequences when the little people try to skirt their laws.

Sorry, only the holder of the lien can cause the lien to be removed.
That most often happens when the lien holder has been paid, in full.

It's not my restitution

It is now.

I didn't find out about the lien until after he died.

Doesn't matter. The lien stays with the car. Just like if you bought the car with a lien on it. Just like if you bought a house with a lien on it.

How can they enforce a court order for someone who has passed away?

Exactly the way the state is doing it now. No pay, no title.

Are you beginning to understand that it was a bad idea to buy a car and put it in somebody else's name because "the insurance was cheaper." That was insurance fraud and the money you saved you get to pay now.

There's no way around it.

First of all, I didn't say he didn't drive the car, and I didn't say that I wasn't on the insurance what I said was it was cheaper, so no it was not insurance fraud. And as of the day he suddenly died he didn't know about the lien either. I don't appreciate your attitude towards a serious question. You haven't provided any legal answer just a lot of judgmental NONSENSE.

So either provide the legal info to back up your replies or save your comments for someone else.

PLEASE DON'T USE PROFANITY.
THIS IS A FAMILY ORIENTED SITE.
THANK YOU.

First of all, I didn't say he didn't drive the car, and I didn't say that I wasn't on the insurance what I said was it was cheaper, so no it was not insurance fraud. And as of the day he suddenly died he didn't know about the lien either. I don't appreciate your attitude towards a serious question. You haven't provided any legal answer just a lot of judgmental NONSENSE.

So either provide the legal info to back up your replies or save your comments for someone else.

PLEASE DON'T USE PROFANITY.
THIS IS A FAMILY ORIENTED SITE.
THANK YOU.

I am so sorry I offended you. Please forgive me.

I did provide you with the legal info to back up my reply.

Here's the link again:

http://maricopa.gov/Finance/PDF/Financial Services/Collections/MVD Liens Guidance.pdf

Apparently, the DMV has also told you the same thing so you aren't going to get a different answer by angrily insisting that there is one.

Where do you imagine that there was profanity in any part of this thread?

Frankly, at this point if you want any further "legal" advice I suggest you consult an attorney.

As for your advice I have read the link you provided and it doesn't address what happens to lien if a person is deceased or what other options are available. If you are responding to truly help people, maybe you should try not to sound like a arrogant jerk.

As for your advice I have read the link you provided and it doesn't address what happens to lien if a person is deceased or what other options are available. If you are responding to truly help people, maybe you should try not to sound like a arrogant jerk.

You're obviously not getting what you want here.

Consult an attorney.

And if you're one of those people who feel compelled to have the last word, you're welcome to that, too. I won't respond any more.

Back