creditors calling very late at night

Status
Not open for further replies.

concerned113009

my spouse brought a computer from a rent to own place he finished all his payments on time and received the ownership papers by mail. months later his brother and mother go to the same place to get what they needed using him as a referral. they have been unable to keep up with their payments as they have both lost their jobs. the company calls my husband all the time to ask him to get in contact with them. we have had phone calls come from them as late as 8pm on a sunday how do we get these to stop because they dont ask you if you are willing to be a referral for other people they just allow them to put your name and number down.

Write them a letter, asking them to take you off as referrals.
I don't think they'll heed that.

The easiest way is to change your phone number.
Don't give the number to anyone.
That means no one.
Use the old number anytime someone requests a phone number.
Never give the new number to anyone.
The phone calls will end.

There are other LEGAL remedies, but they rarely work.
This one always works.
I use it myself.
My phone rarely rings.

Changing your number isn't really practical.
While phone calls to collect a debt are legitimate, you are not the one that owes the debt, and you are obviously feeling harassed. You should send the company a letter explaining that you will seek prosecution for harassing phone calls if they do not cease immediately... then follow through with a police report if the calls don't stop, and make it clear to them that you are not the one that owes the debt.
Aside from that, utilize your caller ID and do not answer blocked calls or any other calls that you recognize as being from the company. If they make contact with you at all then they will continue to call.

I had the same problem once. I growled at them and explained I would make it very expensive for them if they didn't leave me alone. I haven't heard from them since.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back