credit pulled w/o permission

Status
Not open for further replies.

gclark333

My boyfriend's ex-wife had a friend at a bank pull a full credit report on me. My current credit report shows 2 full pulls by this bank. What can I legally do? She did not have my permission to pull my credit. Nor did the bank or bank employee.

How do you know SHE did it?

Have you applied for any credit cards recently? Purchased anything pricey? (Jewelry, or some other item that might have required a credit check prior to approval) Applied for jobs?

There are a number of reasons why a credit check might be done.

Before you run around accusing her of running your credit twice, you might want to make sure you have all the facts.

- Carl

Her friend works for a credit union that is only for a major company's employees. Even if I had applied for a loan I couldn't have gotten it from them. I don't qualify. His ex also used to work for this comany.

How do you know SHE did it?

Have you applied for any credit cards recently? Purchased anything pricey? (Jewelry, or some other item that might have required a credit check prior to approval) Applied for jobs?

There are a number of reasons why a credit check might be done.

Before you run around accusing her of running your credit twice, you might want to make sure you have all the facts.

- Carl

Carl,

The credit pull came from a credit union that is only accessible to employees of a very large company. I haven't applied for any loans and I have been with the same company for 7 years. Even if I wanted a loan I wouldn't qualify at this bank because I don't work for this company. His ex also used to work for this company and that's how she had a friend that works there.

Thanks!

All because it came from that credit union does not necessarily prove it came from her friend. Many banks and organizations use banks or credit unions for credit check services ... could have been a host of reasons why it was run.

Perhaps you should contact their business or credit department and find out who did so and under what authorization before you presume that it was her. If you go aroun daccusing her before you KNOW it was her, that could play out bad.

- Carl

I would contact that credit union, and ask for the manager. Then explain that you credit report has been pulled twice from there, without your authorization. Don't go into any more detail then that. Don't tell them all the soap opera stuff. Just tell them you want to know who pulled it and why. In other words make it sound like you pulled your report just to make sure all was well (many people do these days with all the identity theft - read on)

They are probably never going to tell you who, but ask anyway. It will get them a bit more riled up. Anyway, from that point, if they do find who did it, that person will probably be in serious jeopardy of their job for doing so. That should do some great damage between the friend and the ex wife.

The other thing you need to do is watch your credit. You are entitled to a free copy of your credit report once per year. But here's a loophole to your advantage. If you are ever denied credit, you are entitled to a free copy of your report then as well. I'm not going to tell you to intentionally apply for something you know you'll never get just to be able to get a report more often than once per year :dgrin but I couldn't stop you from doing so.

Here's the bottom line. Even if it wasn't the ex-wife behind this, you need to ask yourself why it got pulled at all, and that's why you need to check your credit. Right now I would wait a couple months. If anyone has used this info to start obtaining credit in your name, it may not show up yet, as these things get reported once per month, not right as soon as it happens. So you need to give it time for things to show up.

If anyone does start opening credit in your name, you have a really damn good case against the credit union, and maybe even the employee who pulled the report. She may face criminal charges at that point.

One last note, I wouldn't go accusing the ex-wife either. Yes, you have good reason to believe this, but without a smoking gun, you are only going to open a can of worms. It sounds like this woman is nuts, and trying to make life hell for her ex, and you happen to be caught up in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back