Credit Fraud/Identity Fraud by relative

Status
Not open for further replies.

pearison05

I have recently found out that my mother in law has been using my husband's credit and identity, ie SSN, birthdate, etc, to gain access to loans and utilty service. She has taken out five loans and has two outstanding utility bills in his name. The amount so far is $16,937. I was wondering how we could go about relieving this debt, if there is any possibility. We don't necessarily want to file charges against her, but if we have to, then it has to be done. We have all the evidence now to prove that she fraudulently authorized these accounts and are wondering which could be our next step. Is there any chance, with the evidence, that utlity companies or loan companies would relieve any of the debt if we work out a payment plan?

They are not going to reduce the debt and this will ruin his credit unless you take care of it. The first step is to put a freeze on his credit report. Then you will need to notify each party in writing CRRR that he did not take out the loans and is not responsible. Usually this takes the services of an attorney and you can expect to spend 3 or 4,000 dollars.

You need to call the police and report fraud, contact the companies and let them know that his identity was stolen and give them a copy of the police report, the police will investigate her and she will get introuble for it --- otherwise you will be stuck paying it--

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back