Credit card

lchang

Jurisdiction
Florida
My Mother opened two credit cards in my name and I did not know, she let them become late in payments. If I do not wish to press charges and she pays off the debt, how long will this be on my credit score?

If I do not wish to press charges and she pays off the debt, how long will this be on my credit score?

Somewhere in the area of SEVEN years, give or take.

If I file a fraud report, will she be arrested, or can I not press charges? And will this help get this off my credit report?

If I file a fraud report, will she be arrested, or can I not press charges?

People usually get arrested when the police investigate a matter and have reasonable cause to believe someone committed a crime.

You can't press charges.

You CAN file a complaint.

The police will investigate, and the DA could file charges.

So I have not recourse. Either I don't file a complaint and it stays on my credit score or I file and my mother will be arrested. Is that what I understand?

Ok sorry, so what is the chance that she will be arrested? and will the complaint help get the credit score fixed, can you tell that?
I really don't want my mother arrested, but I do want my credit score back to where it was.

what is the chance that she will be arrested?

It all depends.

In less populous counties, it would be high.

In more populous urban areas, less likely, but still possible.

will the complaint help get the credit score fixed, can you tell that?

It should, because it will revealed you didn't do it.

You can go to the THREE credit bureau sites and file a dispute.

You can read all about filing disputes on the websites, and exactly how they are supposed to help you.

as with most things that are alleged to help people, they don't help as much as things that can hurt you.

I do want my credit score back to where it was.

I can feel your pain, but credit is a trap.

I don't use credit, haven't used it for 25 years.

I have a credit cards I used for travel, and also an AMEX.

I am sorry your mother's actions placed you in this difficult position.

If you report the fraud and fail to divulge what you know then you could end up causing more trouble for yourself.

If you do not report the fraud there is virtually no way to repair your credit other than to wait it out.

Pay the balance if you are able. It will just take time for the delinquency to go away. If you can't pay the balance then the accounts will eventually go to collections and follow you for years.

There is no way way to fix it. Every option requires you to report it and for mom to answer for what she has done.

Back