Credit card help

Status
Not open for further replies.

shockandawe

My girlfriend and I have been in a relationship for nearly 3 years,currently residing in Georgia where we both are on a lease,along with her parents are trying to pursue criminal charges of credit card fraud against me.
There was a verbal agreement between us(My girlfriend &I) for me to use the credit card from November 2009 until I was employed on a new job I started in December 2009. She and I agreed to make the monthly payments on the card together.
For the past few days, we have been arguing and when she went online to make a payment she saw where the amount was about $700 because it was used for gas purchases,grocery store,Wal-mart, and restaurants we both had dinner together and now telling her family I stole her credit card and used it.
What can be done to assure she does not pursue criminal charges against me for credit card fraud?

She won't get far if she reports it to the police. They may come and talk with you about it, but with a story like that they will refer both of you to the civil court. Besides that, if you were using her card then you should have been checked for ID at each purchase and refused. If you were using her PIN then she is still responsible for the purchases since she isn't supposed to tell anyone her PIN.
If you did make the purchases then you need to repay her, but don't sweat a police report. Based on what you say here, it would never go anywhere.

I'm going to add to this that once you get on your feet, you need to cut ties with her if you can and get out of there. Pulling a stunt like this proves she cannot be trusted.

Well she has filed a police report against me in this matter. A detective called today and left a message saying that I had a few days to return the call or he was going to do what he had to do. I guess that means he was going to pursuit an arrest warrant which will mean a felony arrest. I have never had any arrest in my life and I am scared as hell. What can I do or need to do? Please help. I am stunned about this entire matter and don't have any clue on what I need to do.

If she reported it as a fraudulent use of her card, or a stolen card, then the detective will want to investigate. You won't get arrested unless the detective can provide sufficient evidence to a judge that you stole the card or made unauthorized charges, and then the judge would issue a warrant. If what you say is true, that won't happen.

Personally, I would return the detectives call and let him have a brief synopsis of the situation. Don't get into a lengthy detailed conversation. Simply advise the detective of the agreement the two of you had made, her attitude change after you started arguing with each other, and your intent to pay what you owe. With that the detective will most likely close the case real fast and refer both of you to court to settle your differences, which is the best possible outcome for him because he doesn't want to waste any time with this.

In the mean time, make regular payments on what you owe. Either send it directly to the credit card company or give it to the ex IF SHE WILL SIGN A RECEIPT. If you know the account number you should be able to send a payment through the mail... just make sure you have a copy of any checks that are paid on the account.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back