credit card debt

Status
Not open for further replies.

lusylvie

How long can a credit card company can keep adding on interest? Can they still do that after the account has been sold to someone else?

I had contacted the actual credit card company to do a settlement with them, they agreed on the settlement so I did said to them that I will mail them a check for the amount in full so I may have a document on my check stating that it is paid in full. They agreed that was ok. So then I was contacted again by someone at that same credit card company, she advised me of my debt in collection. I had told her that a check is on the way. She told me that I had to pay it now over the phone and cancel the check mailed. I told her it is going to cost me to cancel the check. she agreed to deduct the settlement to pay off the cancellation check fee. I agreed and did payment over the phone and have a voided check for it at home. 3 months down the road , I find out that the payment was never received. They said it show a cancelled check and a non-sufficiend fund reported payment. There was funds in the acct. I even proved it with a letter from my bank stating the funds were never attempted to withdrawal. They lied to me and mess me up bad. My question is now that I know I still owe them, but can I just pay what they have originally agreed with or is it now their responsibility due to the fact they never attempt to collect payment and advised me themselves to cancel the check that was orignally in the mail? Whos fault is it? What should I do now. My acct has been turned over to an attorney now. I have contacted the attorney numerous times and never received a phone call in return. This is showing on my credit report. What should I do? I have proof and docmented everything that has been happening and whom I have been speaking to since 9/2003.

lusylvie said:
How long can a credit card company can keep adding on interest? Can they still do that after the account has been sold to someone else?

I had contacted the actual credit card company to do a settlement with them, they agreed on the settlement so I did said to them that I will mail them a check for the amount in full so I may have a document on my check stating that it is paid in full. They agreed that was ok. So then I was contacted again by someone at that same credit card company, she advised me of my debt in collection. I had told her that a check is on the way. She told me that I had to pay it now over the phone and cancel the check mailed. I told her it is going to cost me to cancel the check. she agreed to deduct the settlement to pay off the cancellation check fee. I agreed and did payment over the phone and have a voided check for it at home. 3 months down the road , I find out that the payment was never received. They said it show a cancelled check and a non-sufficiend fund reported payment. There was funds in the acct. I even proved it with a letter from my bank stating the funds were never attempted to withdrawal. They lied to me and mess me up bad. My question is now that I know I still owe them, but can I just pay what they have originally agreed with or is it now their responsibility due to the fact they never attempt to collect payment and advised me themselves to cancel the check that was orignally in the mail? Whos fault is it? What should I do now. My acct has been turned over to an attorney now. I have contacted the attorney numerous times and never received a phone call in return. This is showing on my credit report. What should I do? I have proof and docmented everything that has been happening and whom I have been speaking to since 9/2003.
Once the contract is terminated it's over. However, the debt can continue to accumulate interest until it's paid off. Otherwise, if you paid off the full amount, e.g. in 10 years then you'd have, in effect, a free 10 year loan. Thus until you pay back the money there will be interest calculated in some fashion governed by state law (and might be the prime rate computed at certain intervals.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back