Craigslist trade; can law enforcement get involved?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nbracken18

Since I recently got an iPhone, I decided to post my White LG Chocolate on craigslist for $75 or a trade for an original xbox system. Two weeks later, I got an email from some kid saying that he is highly interested in my phone and said he had an xbox for me with 2 controllers and a handful of games. So, the next day I decided to meet him with his mother in the parking lot of a Sports Authority somewhere in between both of our homes. I handed them the phone with the charger, and looked inside the box they gave me at the xbox. They then asked a few questions about the phone, and I told them that the phone was purchased on eBay about 6 months ago, and I used it for about 2 weeks before my Verizon service was disconnected, and I never re-connected it. I also told them that the battery lasts anywhere from 1-2 days on a full charge depending on which functions you use. After the questions, we shook hands and went on our separate ways.

Now, this week, I have received a few calls on my cell phone from the kid's father (which I let both calls go to voicemail). He is stating that I gave his 14-year old son the wrong end of the stick by trading him "my phone that doesn't work for HIS xbox". In another call, the father says that he wants a new battery for the phone because it keeps dying on him, or he wants his xbox back. He said that if I don't want to call him back he will get "the law enforcement, or whatever" involved.

I don't feel I did anything wrong, as I traded my phone to him exactly as advertised and knowing that it worked exactly as I told them. Now they want to get trade-backs because they feel the phone should last longer?

Can this even be taken seriously? I mean, can I get taken to court for this issue if they only have my cell phone number and my email address? Or should I just ignore the calls and issue?

Unless the state can prove that you intentionally deceived the other party, this is a civil matter. Unless there is a lot more to this, I doubt the police will get involved in this at all.

Just one more reason why I do not do eBay or Craigslist.

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back