Craigslist buyer threatening to sue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobbit42

I sold an old laptop a couple days ago on craigslist, for $100, to a guy locally. The laptop was perfectly fine, I had wiped the hard drive (via Ubuntu's partition manager), and installed the version of XP that came with it via the original recovery disc. It had no issues at all, it's just like 5 years old, so I didn't want it anymore. I never even connected it to wifi for Windows update or anything after reinstalling XP because I didn't want traces of my SSID and IP on the machine. The drivers were all on the recovery disc, and all were installed as part of the process. In other words, the computer was perfectly fine, fresh install on a blank HD, never connected to the interwebs after reinstall.

I gave him the computer, an a/c adapter (a new one I had recently bought, actually, as the old one crapped out), and the recovery disc. He tried it at the time, saw that he could see some wifi networks, opened a couple programs on it, had no issues, and gave me the money. Later that evening, he starts emailing me saying there is a problem with the trackpad, and mentioning stuff about an external mouse, but I emailed him back saying I never had problems with the trackpad, and that it worked fine. This morning he emailed me saying that he had taken it to a computer shop and had a virus removed, and that he had to buy an external mouse (which he then claims froze the computer? lol...) and a computer case (which made me laugh, too) for it. He didn't directly say it, but he implied that he was going to try to sue me if I don't give him more money.

Seems like a clear buyer-trying-to-scam-seller to me, but just trying to make sure. Does this guy have any actual case?

I sold an old laptop a couple days ago on craigslist, for $100, to a guy locally. The laptop was perfectly fine, I had wiped the hard drive (via Ubuntu's partition manager), and installed the version of XP that came with it via the original recovery disc. It had no issues at all, it's just like 5 years old, so I didn't want it anymore. I never even connected it to wifi for Windows update or anything after reinstalling XP because I didn't want traces of my SSID and IP on the machine. The drivers were all on the recovery disc, and all were installed as part of the process. In other words, the computer was perfectly fine, fresh install on a blank HD, never connected to the interwebs after reinstall.

I gave him the computer, an a/c adapter (a new one I had recently bought, actually, as the old one crapped out), and the recovery disc. He tried it at the time, saw that he could see some wifi networks, opened a couple programs on it, had no issues, and gave me the money. Later that evening, he starts emailing me saying there is a problem with the trackpad, and mentioning stuff about an external mouse, but I emailed him back saying I never had problems with the trackpad, and that it worked fine. This morning he emailed me saying that he had taken it to a computer shop and had a virus removed, and that he had to buy an external mouse (which he then claims froze the computer? lol...) and a computer case (which made me laugh, too) for it. He didn't directly say it, but he implied that he was going to try to sue me if I don't give him more money.

Seems like a clear buyer-trying-to-scam-seller to me, but just trying to make sure. Does this guy have any actual case?

You are in the clear as far as being sued....it would cost him alot more than the 100bucks he paid for it lol. Now if he paid by paypal then you may want to get the money off your paypal account because they could put a hold on it until the matter is cleared up, I doubt it but have heard of them doing this before. So I would not worry about anything. Good luck.

Nope, he paid in cash, no paypal involved. The more of these cases I read on here about craigslist, and the more I reread his emails, the more I feel he is just trying to intimidate me into paying money.

well it sounds like you wont let the bully get to you. He is done, I would let him know 1 time that its over and then ignore him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back