Craigslist Ad

COOKIE

Jurisdiction
Florida
My 23 yr old son advertised his TV, HDMI cables, and TV stand as a package deal on craigslist list for $500. He listed it as a 65 inch T.V. He purchased this TV about 2 years ago and sincerely thought it was a 65 inch TV. A man told him he would pay him an extra $100 if he held it for him for one week. My son agreed. The man came to the house and inspected the T.V and stand. He gave my son the $600 for the package. The next day, the buyer contacted him stating the T.V. was not a 65, but a 55 inch. My son apologized to him stating he was sorry and did not realize that it was a 55 inch. The buyer is stating he was the victim of a "bait and switch" tactic and wants this money back. My son feels bad about the miscommunications, but it was in no way deceitful. My son told him he still had his money and would discuss this with him when he got off of work the next day. My son called Best Buy where he purchased the T.V. to obtain the information on the TV (2 days after the sale) to verify it was in fact a 65 inch. However, he found out it was a 55 inch TV he had purchased from them. The buyer and his wife keep texting and calling, over 13 messages today only. Does he have a claim in small claims court? This is what they are threatening now.

You betcha he has a claim against your son.
It would be in your son's best interest to return the money and retrieve his equipment.
Otherwise, your son can appear at the small claims hearing, and agree to return the money to the plaintiff in exchange for him receiving his equipment.
This isn't about any intent to deceive.
Its simply a person buying something advertised as 65 inches, which was later discovered to be 55 inches.

Your best bet would be for your son to return the money & get the TV back - no use going to court over this.

Back