Court Ordered Payment to Ex's Lawyer

Status
Not open for further replies.

RAnn

Long story short - I was ordered to pay part of exes lawyer's fees for a post judgment matter that I filed. Definately NOT HAPPY about it - believe my lawyer didn't give a good defense but that is water under the bridge. The order was for me to pay $1500 w/i 30 days. I don't have $1500. Told my lawyer to tell exes lawyer I will pay $25 per mo. till debt is paid. (BTW - ex is millionaire, I got zippo in divorce took him back to court for fraud because now I have proof on his shenanigans when he sold "our" company to a public company after the divorce with HIS name on the company after signing that he had not parts of it. Unfortunately, Judge didn't see it my way and here I am quite a few years later).
Obviously, exes lawyer is quite upset at my offer of payment. I'm waiting for his response back from my lawyer. But my question is - can he MAKE me pay more than I can afford? I truly cannot afford more even if he is on the bottom of my bill pile.
thanks
RA
ps I owe my lawyer too.

Yes. 25.00 a month is too little and will take years to pay off. If lawyer gets a judgement they can attach a lien, wages and bank account.

Yes - I realize it is a very small amount. But in the whole scheme of things -it will cost him more to get a judgment against me and I do plan on paying him. If he wants to take me to court I would be more than willing to put up all of my bills and show any judge my income ($50k) and assets (none). I have a totally disabled husband on SSDI from a workers comp accident in 2001 and we live paycheck to paycheck. I am the only wage earner.
Look at all of the deadbeats that owe child support out the wazoo? Nothing ever happens to them. IBut if I am paying something & on a regular basis can he actually take me to court?
Would he take me back to family court or small claims for this?
thanks
RA

the lawyer will likel ask that you have to pay the fees within a certain number of months. If not then you are in contempt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back