Court ignored my disability request

deafmeg

Jurisdiction
Maine
A few weeks ago I went to court for an MIP, which I plead guilty to and was given community service in exchange for a dismissal (I have no criminal history). A few weeks prior to my court date I submitted a disability service request for CART captioning services (I also googled this and it is something that has been used in court many times for individuals with hearing loss), I am hard of hearing and use this service in school and at other large events. The lady at the court house argued, saying they had "hearing systems" or could provide an interpreter (most likely before CART services is some-what expensive). A hearing system would not work well for me and I don't know ASL. I told her this was the service I needed and those wouldn't work, she said they would get back to me. I never received a response and was given nothing when I appeared in court, I asked the court prior to when I appeared before the judge and they again ignored that I had requested CART services and gave me a hearing system... This was a head set that played the judges voice, if you have any knowledge of hearing aids you would know placing a head set over hearing aids only creates loud squealing feed back. I spoke to a court provided lawyer who explained exactly what the judge would say and exactly how to respond, I only heard parts of what the judge said when I appeared before him but said what the lawyer told me to in the order he explained and it resulted okay. I'm very offended the court didn't provide my disability accommodations and created such a stressful appearance (stating answers to questions I couuldn't hear but just prayed they were what the lawyer told me he would be asking). Can I sue the court for not accommodating my disability?

It seems they did accommodate your disability but just not in the way that you wanted. I don't see how you can sue the court.

A few weeks ago I went to court for an MIP, which I plead guilty to and was given community service in exchange for a dismissal (I have no criminal history). A few weeks prior to my court date I submitted a disability service request for CART captioning services (I also googled this and it is something that has been used in court many times for individuals with hearing loss), I am hard of hearing and use this service in school and at other large events. The lady at the court house argued, saying they had "hearing systems" or could provide an interpreter (most likely before CART services is some-what expensive). A hearing system would not work well for me and I don't know ASL. I told her this was the service I needed and those wouldn't work, she said they would get back to me. I never received a response and was given nothing when I appeared in court, I asked the court prior to when I appeared before the judge and they again ignored that I had requested CART services and gave me a hearing system... This was a head set that played the judges voice, if you have any knowledge of hearing aids you would know placing a head set over hearing aids only creates loud squealing feed back. I spoke to a court provided lawyer who explained exactly what the judge would say and exactly how to respond, I only heard parts of what the judge said when I appeared before him but said what the lawyer told me to in the order he explained and it resulted okay. I'm very offended the court didn't provide my disability accommodations and created such a stressful appearance (stating answers to questions I couuldn't hear but just prayed they were what the lawyer told me he would be asking). Can I sue the court for not accommodating my disability?

I see nothing that the court did inappropriately.
You, on the other hand, weren't affected by your alleged "disability" when you possessed alcoholic beverages illegally.
You are free to hire a lawyer and pursue the any issue that upsets you.
By statute and constitutional declaration judges and courts are immune from lawsuits.

You are free to report the matter to Maine's agency that oversees the judiciary and alleged misconduct:

State of Maine Judicial Responsibility and Disability Committee

Back