Court appointed attorney not doing his job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeachTX

This is in Tarrant County Texas. My friend was pulled over for suspicion of DWI. He got scared and drove away. He hit this lady in an intersection. They both went to the hosp. She was hurt pretty bad. Neither of them had insurance.Can she sue civily if she was driving without insurance? Anyway my friend went to jail. His blood alcohol came back legal. That was 6 mo. ago. His charges are for aggravated assualt and evading arrest That is the last we heard 8 wks ago. He is kept in the dark by the attorney the court appointed him. He met him for 10 min. Then weeks later the indictment came. His attorney didn't contact him or visit to discuss it with him. My friend had me call the attorney to come for a meeting. My ph calls were not returned and still no appearance from his attorney. His attorney did however go meet the lady in the hosp. and took a meeting with her attorney. He came to my friend and said the lady was going to sue him in civil court, which he would not handle, and she was sueing the Auction yard my friend worked at because they owned the car he was driving. They had loaned the car to him. When his job found this out they told the ladies attorney that the car was stolen and they aren't liable. The car was not reported stolen. My friend doesn't know the status on that because his attorney hasn't contacted him to tell him much of anything. My friends attorney it appears keeps in contact with this lady and her attorney. He told my friend he should volunteer for a deposition with her lawyer. It would show a judge he felt bad and wanted to help her with her medical bills. At his arraignment his attorney gave him 5 min in the holding cell before hand to talk. My friend is confused by his lawyers preoccupation with the lady and her troubles. And is it normal for him to do this while his client is getting no news, advice or anything from him. In the mean time he hasn't said or offered to disclose to my friend anything the DA has on him like evidence or what may be offered. I've never been in this position myself so I don't know what to tell my friend. We are very nervous and wonder if my friend is getting represented fairly. This could mean spending a good amount of time in prison. And my friend wonders if giving this deposition voluntarily is wise since the criminal case hasn't really begun. Could it somehow come back against him when his case moves forward? Should he try to fire this attorney and see if the state of TX will appoint another?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back