Course Syllabus Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeBoweyn

I've avoided this situation for a time, fearing that it may impact my status as a student. A teacher at my school blatantly disregarded her own syllabus and made drastic changes to the grading policies without any notice. Because of this, I scored a grade of at least a letter grade lower than what I should have scored. Due to this, my GPA was lowered to 2.96, just slightly below the 3.0 needed to keep a scholarship that pays 100% of my tuition. I took the appeal to the highest level that I could at my school, but everyone took the side of the tenured teacher.

My question is this: Are there any other avenues for rectifying the situation? I have been forced to pay out-of-pocket and to take a loan to continue my education. My parents and myself have been burdened with an unnecessary cost.

-Thank you.

This is a tough call. If your teacher decided to make changes to the grade system that affected the entire class in the same manner without negatively impacting everyone, you have a tough case to sell. the answer may have been to do better in school and make sure you score high enough. I doubt you have recourse but may in a manner unknown to me.

Welcome to the dictatorship of the classroom. The Professor is the king/queen of the classroom. As long as they don't do anything ILLEGAL they will get by with it. I once saw a course Prof who asked, "Did you enjoy this course?" as the last question on the last test and gave a B on the COURSE to anyone who said no regardless of what your GPA was in that class. It held up.

Your recourse is to stop partying so much and study more :).

The syllabus is a guideline. The Prof created it and has total control over it. If you get your grades up you might be able to get your scholarship back. Welcome to life in the non-high school real world. Deadlines, cutoffs, and responsibilities mean things and if you miss them it hurts. Believe me, it won't get any better once you leave college.

Good luck getting your scholarship back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back