County's mistake puts me in jail...do I sue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slew

Three weeks after receiving a much deserved DUI:eek:, the arresting officer wrote another ticket for "leaving the scene of an accident". At the same time he wrote a second ticket for the dui, giving it a different case #. Needless to say, when I was served for those, I had no reason to know that it was a second dui offense and assumed I was served for the first one, for which I had an attorney to attend any hearings or court dates.

Well, because nobody knew about it, it was not even posted on the county's website...nobody appeared and I was picked up for failure to appear and spent a weekend in jail. My attorney showed up on a Sunday, Father's Day no less and went before the judge for me, explaining the mistake. They released me on my own recognisence.

The arresting officer ended up writing me something like 6 different tickets. When I finally did go to court for the dui, all were dropped except for the DUI. There were 2 tickets that neither the clerk or judge could find any record for but he dropped them as well.

My point is the officer was a little over zealous about the whole thing, so spending a weekend in jail for his mistake was a kind of hard for me to swallow. I had no intention of making a stink about it until I recieved my attorney's $1500 bill for that Sunday. I realize people spend decades in jail because of mistakes, but I REALLY am mad that it is going to cost me so much money.

So, my question is should I sue? And if so, what kind of attorney should I be looking for?

Thanks folks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back