counter sueing ex mother in law

Status
Not open for further replies.

crystallblue

Ex's mother took me into court and tried suing me for 25K for assault. We had a 3 day juried trial, she had an attorney I did not! I WON!!! Now I want to countersue her for all the time I lost at work, my vacation hours, court fee's that I had to pay. I want her to pay for my son to have to go to a counselor for what she did to him and I want her to pay for slanddering me as well. I don't have the money up front for an attorney, not even really sure if I need an attorney. Not sure how much money I should ask for. The hours that I missed from work cost me $800+. I used up ALL of my leave that I had but still lost all those hours. I had to pay around $500 for court fee's, documents ext. If anyone can give me any kind of idea of what I should do or if there is an attorney that is willing to fight for me on consignement please let me know. Thank you

What did the original judgment you received say about costs? The usual rule is that costs go to the winner. I would be sceptical you could get compensated for time off work - that's just part of the price of going to court. Check the judgment you received, and look to your rules of court to help you determine what you are entitled to.

I got that part. My question is, did the judgment say anything about her having to pay you for your costs? If it said nothing, check your rules of court - there may be a default rule about what costs you are entitled to.

oh I see what your saying no it didn't say anything about what i got if she won...I'll look of the rules of the court. Where exactly would I go to find the rules of the court? The county web site?

Beats me. I don't know where you are, what your laws are, or who publishes them.

Talking out of my hat here, I suspect that if your judgment is silent on costs, then costs remain to be spoken to. You'll probably need to re-appear in front of the same judge that decided your case. The general rule is that costs follow the event, i.e. that the successful party gets their costs. "Costs" does not mean you get whatever it cost you to go to court, it means you get whatever the rules of court say the winning party should receive.

okay now.....they are going to try and take me back to court. They are saying that they didn't get a fair trial. I know that I have to do a rebulte....but what other steps can I take. Can I sue her when I do into court this time. They just WILL NOT leave me alone.!

Looks like their lawyer is trying to save face.

You should talk with a local lawyer; I don't know your rules of civil procedure. My guess is this will be a brand new hearing, so anything is open to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back