Could this be a preach in privacy and blackmail

Status
Not open for further replies.

rarity

My boyfriend found out I was cheating on him by reading instant messages on my phone. He went into my email and dug around in there finding more evidence against me. Granted none of these were password protected at the time. He sent the evidence to several locations of which I am not sure. He threatened to send all his evidence to my employer , coworkers , family and friends. After all this I tried to change my passwords and log out of all my emails and instant messengers on my phone. He changed the passwords to 3 of my emails and the password of my bank account, and got evidence I thought I had deleted.

Now he's threatening to sue me because of money he paid for food and rent etc because we were living under false pretenses. He is also threatening to sue the company at which all participants worked because he was terminated from there and he can use the affair as evidence that the company terminated him under false pretenses. He says he may or may not follow through with any of it. He says that this isn't a threat, but I think it is. He wants me to get back together with him. I know I did wrong, but is there some laws to protect me, my family and friends, the other party and their family plus my employer and my employment?

I am addressing the employment situation only.

He has no lawsuit against the company. But you and the employee you had the affair with can both, legally, be terminated, regardless of anything your "boyfriend" does or does not do.

My thought is that there will be no lawsuit and it's all just empty threats. If he sues for paying for food and rent I'm sure you counter with other things for which you paid, etc. and this is all empty threats. He can try suing you in small claims court but I doubt it gets anywhere. And the fact that he wants to get back together with you again is an indication of where his mind is at.

You might want to remind him that his changing your password at your bank and accessing your account without permission or authorization is an offense. He might want to back off of his threats or you may need to report his unauthorized access. It's a bad situation from which you are both best moving on and there is little to no actual money damages that you have presented on the surface -- and that's what these cases require in order to be successful -- monetary damages awarded for injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back