Could landlord be liable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leyton71

This is concerning my cat who was injured from opening a screen door that is suppose to have some lock/latch. My cat got out and fell off the balcony about 15ft-17ft and injured his right paw badly. He will require surgery to fuse toes and wrist. Which will cost me approx: 2800-3800$. Being there was no lock on that screen door is the landlord liable?

I also recall complaining about this patio door in past not about latch/lock but during the winter it is extremely cold in my apartment. I was told all I can do is just put plastic up and this was known to be one of the coldest units (during winter) they have. Walking around the complex I noticed that a good majority of the patio doors look new opposed to my old one. I just though I'd throw that out being I have raised my concern with them in the past.

Leyton

Leyton - I hope you have expressed all of your concerns in writing to your landlord since just communicating them verbally don't offer you the same leverage as when done in writing.

Now, regarding the cat - the expense is yours and here is why: you are the one in control of your cat so it is not the landlord's responsibility to monitor what your cat wants to do. The fact that you think the door is supposed to have a lock/latch should have motivated you to have requested the repair immediately and not after what has happened to your cat.

Good luck to you!

Have you checked with the city regarding the requirements of locks on screen doors? I know of many cities, mine included, which does not require a locking screen door.

I'm afraid nothing in writing about the door. it was all verbal. I will check with code enforcement about the latch/lock. I discovered the door didn't have this lock at the time of his injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back