Could I legally patent this idea and if so, at what point should I apply?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkNova

My jurisdiction is: Ohio

Just want to say thank you in advance to whoever chooses to respond, I have quite a few questions.:)
First, I just want to make sure I would be able to legally apply for the patent. The idea is combining two commercially available products into one device. For example, if you were to take a toaster and combine it with a TV remote, would that qualify for a new patent? (Given that there are no patents for that item)
Now, providing that I could legally apply for the patent should I apply for the patent as soon as I have the idea or should I wait until I have an actual working prototype? Once I do have the working prototype, is it best to verify a date of conception with witnesses or would it be sufficient to just mail a detailed layout of the invention to my-self and use the postmark date?

Last edited:
Unfortunately your question is fact specific and impossible to answer to complete satisfaction. To begin, would the invention qualify for a patent? I don't know what it is. Are you familiar with the basics of patent law? In addition, if the products you wish to combine have associated patents, you may have problems. If you can just duplicate functionality without infringing on associated patents, perhaps you have a patentable invention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back