Could a traffic court drug test me

Anna Loboda

Jurisdiction
California
I got my first speeding ticket, was doing 44 in a 25-30 mph zone. I think it's about $300. I did not do it on purpose, I was only just trying to get to a job orientation on time and was anxious and didn't look at my speedometer. Now I'm paying attention to how quickly I'm driving constantly and haven't speeded since then and I'm going to tell this to the judge. I'm also on SSI income for disability (mental illness) and can't afford to pay it. Is it in the realm of possibility that the judge could give me community service instead of paying the fine? Or at least knock off some of the price? Or let me pay it off slowly? Any other way I can get out of paying the fine or paying less?

Also, I have a $20 ticket for being on my phone at a red stoplight which turned green and I almost missed it. This was earlier this horrible month. I have three years of driving before this with no tickets. Is there any chance that the judge could suspend my license or order me to go to driving school?

I smoke weed in California, could I get in trouble for that? I was not driving under the influence and that was obvious to the cop and he did not even test me for sobriety because I was functioning ok. It was a speeding ticket.

I smoke weed in California, could I get in trouble for that? I was not driving under the influence and that was obvious to the cop and he did not even test me for sobriety because I was functioning ok. It was a speeding ticket.

If you're NOT on parole or probation charged ONLY with a traffic citation, drug testing by the court seems unlikely.

I got my first speeding ticket, was doing 44 in a 25-30 mph zone. I think it's about $300. Or let me pay it off slowly? Any other way I can get out of paying the fine or paying less?

Courts often allow people to pay their fines over time on a payment plan, if you ask.

If the fine, costs, fees equal $400; judges have little discretion in reducing the fines.

A judge can reduce a charge to a lesser charge, if the violator makes a good argument for the reduced charge.

Also, I have a $20 ticket for being on my phone at a red stoplight which turned green and I almost missed it. This was earlier this horrible month. I have three years of driving before this with no tickets. Is there any chance that the judge could suspend my license or order me to go to driving school?

You're accumulating a passel of traffic violations in a short period of time.

If one gets TOO many violations over a short period of time, one could lose her/his driving privileges.

I doubt you'll get driving school for ALL them, but the prosecutor might make a deal.

For example, if you cop to the citation with the harshest penalties, he/she might dismiss the smaller ones.

That said, if these violations occurred over multiple jurisdictions, getting the above deal is probably out of the question.

You could attend traffic school for one of the violations to keep it off your record, but not both. Unfortunately, attending traffic school increases the overall cost, but might work out better in the long run vs having points on your record and increased insurance.
The reasons you gave are unlikely to persuade a judge to change anything.
Yes, you can set up a payment plan. The judge will have to approve this and will determine the payment and time you have to pay in full.

Back