Coronavirus Unemployment Questions

Teacher Shell

Jurisdiction
New Jersey
I am a W-2 substitute teacher in a public school district and I am not working because schools are closed.

I also do food sampling/demonstrations in stores as a 1099.I just started do these in February. I also did this as a W-2 in 2019

My questions are:
Under the new coronavirus unemployment, would I qualify for for both of my jobs?
Would I be eligible over the summer months when teachers are on recess?
If Iwas collecting unemployment could I do other 1099 work that would NOT cause me to be unavailable for full time work?

Thank you.

Shelley Deneroff-Thompson

UI doesn't cover 1099 employment.

I've seen nothing in any of the new laws that would require states to change their eligibility status for teachers in the summer.

When receiving UI benefits you will need to report all earnings to the UI agency. 1099 or W2 wages.

With any luck you won't need unemployment through the summer, but as long as you have benefits remaining you could continue to claim it. This is essentially a longer summer break right now, but you have to actively seek new employment.
Any income you receive while claiming unemployment must be reported and effects how much you receive.
Many companies are hiring, so hopefully you can fill that gap quickly and not need it.

Apply for benefits and find out.

It costs nothing, there is no penalty for being wrong, and the worst that can happen is that you are turned down. In which case you're no worse off than if you never applied in the first place.

ParollHRguy: I am fairly certain that the gig economy (1099) is covered with the new law >Gig workers like Uber drivers, self-employed people, freelancers and contract workers should all be eligible for benefits if they are unable to work because of COVID-19.< From npr.ogr

Mightymoose or anyone else: Am I covered by the new UI for my 1099 wori
Apply for benefits and find out.

It costs nothing, there is no penalty for being wrong, and the worst that can happen is that you are turned down. In which case you're no worse off than if you never applied in the first place.

The issue is that I have the opportunity for 1099 job where I won't get paid for about a month. I am afraid that if I take it I will lose my UI benefits for good. That is why I want to know if I can take a 1099 and still get UI if I am still available for a full time work. the 1099 job can be done at night and weekends. I just dont know if thigs have changed with the new coronavirus UI.

I am fairly certain that the gig economy (1099) is covered with the new law >Gig workers like Uber drivers, self-employed people, freelancers and contract workers should all be eligible for benefits if they are unable to work because of COVID-19.< From npr.ogr

Either you are getting misinformation or not understanding something.

As a 1099 worker you are in business for yourself. You don't pay in to the UC system so you don't get benefits for the termination of your UC work.

However, if your 1099 work is interrupted your benefits from your previous W-2 termination restart on the same claim you filed for the original W-2 termination for the duration of the eligibility period.

Any 1099 earnings must be reported and will reduce or eliminate your benefits depending how much you earn. Notice I said earnings not pay. If you don't get paid for a month you have still earned the money and have to report the amount even if you didn't actually receive it yet.

Back