Copyright/use question for images I have taken for a studio.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhotoFool

I'm currently employed by a photography studio that has me on a pretty tight leash with my photos. I signed a contract that the company holds the copyrights to the images I take while employed there. My question is do I have any right to print or post any of the images I have taken for them for my own portfolio to show some of my work? Or can I print images that has the company logo on them?
I have a lot of the pictures I have taken on my own computer and am hoping to use them as explained above. Several pictures I have spent days doing artistic editing on and such, so they mean a lot to me..

Thanks!!

Do you have a clause in your contract that addresses this usage? I usually put this in for consulting agreements. Technically, your employer owns those photos. Think of them as being taken by someone else. Will the company forbid you to post them in your portfolio and give the company credit as owning the photos? Probably not but you should obtain consent. Will they come after you if you do? Probably not. Is it worth the risk if you cannot or don't feel comfortable asking for the right if not addressed in the agreement? I can't answer that question. If you do choose to post them, I'd put in some type of watermark and provide credit. At the very least, the photos couldn't be downloaded and hurt the company's sales of the images and at least you've made it clear where those photos can be purchased.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back