Alcohol & Drugs: MIP, MIC, Intoxication cops took my son's drivers license

Status
Not open for further replies.

meinindiana

My son's truck was at a party that the police were called to. It was unlocked and his wallet was in there. He had left with a girl. He is under 21 and there was beer in his truck. The truck is registered to me. They got in his truck and took his drivers license which he noticed missing along with the beer when he returned the next morning to get his truck. What are they doing with his license? This is in Indiana.

He can go to the police department and ask if they have his license. He can expect to receive a citation for underage possession of alcohol at the same time they return the license.

He can also complain that the officers had no lawful reason to seize his license, but that is a separate issue.

Assuming, of course, that they HAVE his license.

- Carl

My son's truck was at a party that the police were called to.You know this how? It was unlocked and his wallet was in there. He had left with a girl. He is under 21 and there was beer in his truck.He told you this? The truck is registered to me. They got in his truck and took his drivers licenseYou know this how? which he noticed missing along with the beerThat beer seems awful important almost too important when he returned the next morning to get his truck. What are they doing with his license?Ask them This is in Indiana.

I going to play Detective here. Sorry CDW. How do you know all this? I actually suspect one your the person not the Mom and two ther eis much more to this story

You are SOOO suspicious! :D

- Carl

Maybe the police took the beer and then drank it. Then they took the I.D. and sold it to an immigrant from Djibouti.

"It was unlocked and his wallet was in there."

yah, your "son" was like. . ." I made DAMN sure to leave the truck unlocked as my wallet and beer were in the car". . . Distinctly something to remember. . .

as far as your ID goes, the police are probably running an identity theft ring. Pretty soon, in a few months, you'll notice that you have no credit and are $100,000 in debt.

= ( Poor you.

cops took my license

I really am the mom and my son told me this-he's no angel but he is honest.
His friends texted that the cops came and I guess some went to jail. He said there was 3 beers in the back and he always leaves his wallet because he never has anything in it except his id(he takes his debit card with him) He knew everyone at the party and never locks his truck(this I can vouch for) because there is never anything in it that anyone would want(if they weren't afraid of the filth). This is a very small town. Would the cops really think he would come ask for his license back or do you think they gave it to the prosecutor to see if they had a case here?

Would the cops really think he would come ask for his license back or do you think they gave it to the prosecutor to see if they had a case here?
Either one is a possibility. It goes a way to establish possession of the beer, but I'd be interested how they articulated the seizure of only the license. I'd think taking the entire wallet for safekeeping would have been easier to justify.

- Carl

Besides all of that, he can simply go and apply for a new license at the Secretary of State's.

And yet again, how do you know it was the cops? You have a truck that is unlocked, visible beer I presume, and you're surrounded by a bunch of drunken kids? Isn't it MORE likely they took it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back