Other Immigration Law Cops taking down personal information for no reason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kortik

recently went to state police office to get fingerprinting for fbi fp check. Officer at the desk right off the bat asked my immig. status and proof for it. I said I don't have it with me (I'm on H1 and as such don't carry my passport with me everywhere I go). He was like, its federal law to carry your immig status with you. I countered that its federal law and you're a state cop but he was adamant. Later on, after taking my FPs, he made a copy of my driver licence, took my ph # as well as made copy of the finger print card which's got all my personal information on it. His reason was this would in his personal day report at the end of his shift.

Is this right? Did he have right to ask me those questions and keep such personal information on record? If not, what are my options?

Thanks

recently went to state police office to get fingerprinting for fbi fp check. Officer at the desk right off the bat asked my immig. status and proof for it. I said I don't have it with me (I'm on H1 and as such don't carry my passport with me everywhere I go). He was like, its federal law to carry your immig status with you. I countered that its federal law and you're a state cop but he was adamant. Later on, after taking my FPs, he made a copy of my driver licence, took my ph # as well as made copy of the finger print card which's got all my personal information on it. His reason was this would in his personal day report at the end of his shift.

Is this right? Did he have right to ask me those questions and keep such personal information on record? If not, what are my options?

Thanks

Yes, of course he did.

In our country, federal officials can ONLY enforce federal laws.

City police can enforce city ordinances, county ordinances, state laws, and federal laws.

County police (sheriff) enforces county ordinances, state laws, and federal laws.

State police enforce state and federal laws.

He had not only the right to ask, but a duty to inquire.

I've lived and worked in other countries.

I always followed their laws.

I always carried my passport and other documents.

When they determine that you're ILLEGALLY in this country, they'll come and get you.

The officer did nothing out of the ordinary... and you are quite lucky that he didn't detain you if you got a smart attitude with him.
Though he is a city police officer, he can temporarily hold you while he contacts ICE and hands you over. You are required by law to carry your immigration papers with you at all times.
That said, because the federal agency is so incompetent, they likely wouldn't come and get you since you hadn't committed a violent crime, but the officer was well within his rights, and his duty, to do so.
Most likely a report regarding the incident, with all your information and your fingerprints, will be forwarded to ICE.

Also- keep in mind that you went to the police... they did not come to you demanding papers. The circumstances are very different from what you are thinking they are.

Thanks both of you.

My concern was the collection of my information since it never happened before. I had had my fp done before as well for I-485 filing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back