cops and private property

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohshuks

I work nights just out of city limits. The last 2 nights a cop came into the parking lot(private property). Tonight he pulled behind my car and ran my plates. The car was not moving and had been sitting for hours. Is it legal for a cop to run my plates in this situation? I normally wouldn't care about this but I have reason to believe that this is some sort of harassment

I work nights just out of city limits. The last 2 nights a cop came into the parking lot(private property).
If it is publicly accessible, then they can generally go there, too.

Tonight he pulled behind my car and ran my plates. The car was not moving and had been sitting for hours. Is it legal for a cop to run my plates in this situation? I normally wouldn't care about this but I have reason to believe that this is some sort of harassment
Yes, they can run your plates, your license, your name, or just about anything for most any reason they want - or even NO reason! So long as they are doing it for a legitimate and lawful purpose, it's perfectly lawful.

What is it the police think you are up to? And I wouldn't go with, "I don't know ..."

Not remotely close to any kind of harassment. How would you know if he checked your plates anyway? Did he check all the cars? Maybe looking for stolen cars, expired registration?
Fence off the lot if you don't want police coming in.

Not remotely close to any kind of harassment. How would you know if he checked your plates anyway? Did he check all the cars? Maybe looking for stolen cars, expired registration?
Fence off the lot if you don't want police coming in.

A guy once told me, that he heard from this other guy, who spent 10 years in "stir", that when the police run your license plate, a strange bluish glow can be observed emanating from the third and fifth digit or character on your license plate.

This reveals the fact, not speculation, that the police have been surreptitiously spying on you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back