Conversion of Personal Property

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allied21

My ex-fiance and I recently broke up and I agreed to move out of our apartment. We had planned that I would pick up all of my personal belongings on Saturday, April 28th. On that day she came to my new residence accusing me of infidelity. I called the police but she left before they arrived. I filed a report and she was charged with disorderly conduct. I tried to contact her to acquire my personal belongings but she wouldn't respond. On Monday, April 30th, her father came to my workplace and advised my boss, and myself that my ex had burned all of my personal belongings. He also advised both me, and my boss that he would like to compensate me for my losses if I didn't press charges on his daughter. We agreed that he would return on Monday, May 2nd, to pay me the amount discussed. On May 2nd, when he did not come to pay me, I contacted him and he stated that he was still working on getting the money. I was then served an Order of Protection on Thursday, May 3rd. I have had no contact with my ex-fiance, or her father since. I was allowed to get my personal belongings, with a police officer on May 14th. Only a few things were at the apartment we once shared. All my clothes, along with many other items were gone. The approximate cost to replace all of my personal belongings that I did not recover, in my estimation, is $26,000. I have other evidence as well. What I don't have is the ability to prove that I owned everything I stated to the police due to the fact that all my receipts, documents, bank statements, etc. were at the apartment up until April 27th, but were not present on May 14th when I was allowed to retrieve my personal belongings. What are my chances of getting a judgement against her in a civil lawsuit? What else can I do? All opinions and input welcome. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back