contributory infringement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dwight

I bought a t-shirt for a website to get member access for another website that contained material that was copy written that could be downloaded for free. I did not upload or share any material at all. The website got busted for copyright infringment and on the website the person who owns the material is going to sue everybody that bought a tshirt for contributory infringement. Are there anything that I can do? Again I did not upload or share any materiall. I only bought a tshirt.

You can be sued, but it won't be successful if the t-shirt isn't part of the infringement.

Being present at a bank robbery doesn't make you liable. If you know what I mean.

I'm in this same boat, I too bought a T-shirt. The T-shirt was from a different website that the person of this forum set up. However, you didn't need to buy a t-shirt to have access to the material that this man is suing for copyright infringement on. IF you had enough "reputation" (u could gain reputation by thanking others for their posts) and posts, you could have access to this section of the site anyway. I never posted his material either and never went to that section of the site anyway. The tshirt I bought was from a different website and u could not contribute to the site in question directly. So, I really did just buy a tshirt, so I wan't sending money directly to the site that was shut down. What do u guys think? The person that shut down the site has a list of 179 people who bought tshirts, and suggests that we have our lawyers contact him ASAP. Should I just wait to see how it plays out and if I get contacted. What do you think?? Thanks!

Also, the website where I bought this tshirt was a totally different website, and all it did was sell tshirts. There was nothing on this site to indicate that the money was being used to support a website. So, anyone searching google could've found this site to buy a tshirt from and order one. What do u think??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back