Contractor subpar work

Jurisdiction
Illinois
I hired a contractor to re-glaze all the windows on my house, when he initially arrived he shot me a bid of $1000 for all the windows, I agreed and signed the document with my intials. He did not give me a copy of the contract until later. He gets 3/4 of the way through the job and says there's more windows than he thought and said he only agreed to re-glaze 9 of them.

Long story short the cops were called, he was asked to leave my property with his equipment, and something was put on file with the police department. This is when i get the contract, a modified version, he specifically added 9 to the contract after the fact. Although I can't prove it.

My expectations for his work were not met at all, I'm currently waiting on a city inspector to look at his work. That's the whole reason I went down this rabbit hole of even hiring someone. Do I even have a case ?

I had the expectation of a smooth transition from the glazing to the window, it looks terrible in my opinion and I don't think 1000 dollars is a justified price for the quality of work.

Attachments

• backwindow.jpg
    backwindow.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 9
  • frontwindow.jpg
    frontwindow.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 9
No I have not paid him anything yet, but I discovered something upon further examination

The document I signed was an invoice not a contract, I never signed a contract.

Long story short the cops were called

Why?

Do I even have a case ?

You contracted for him to re-glaze some windows. You claim it was all the windows, but the contract says 9. You claim he wrote in "9" after the fact but admit that you can't prove that. If you want to sue successfully for breach of contract, you'll need to prove that contract terms were what you claim they were. Your failure to obtain a copy of the contract at the time you "signed" it will seemingly prevent you from doing that.

On top of all that, you haven't paid the guy anything. Hire someone else.

Back