Consumer Law, Warranties Contract with deck builder breached

Status
Not open for further replies.

David455

Thank You fro your help
I live in NJ I signed a contract with a builder to repair a existing deck and construct a new deck underneath the existing deck All permits where taken out the required deposit was paid to the builder $5740.00 and work began The builder hired a excavator and I paid him when the builder told him his work was complete the builder showed up and finished a alumninum flashing part of this job on the existing deck Approx cost $200.00 dollars the next day he installed 2) 2"/8" beams ( contract states (2) 2"/10" beams) Also the builder cut off a 4'/ 10' section of my deck that was never described in the contract section It is sawed off and gone ! after confronting him about what was going on he quit the job and refused to return my money "they money you gave me covers the work done up to this point" (( $5740.00)) professional est of work he has completed around $200-$250 dollars I now feel I have been cheated out of my deposit and now have to hire someone to repair the section of deck he cut out and replace the 2 ) 2"/8" beams with 2) 2"/10" beams what are my rights here ? should I call the police ? this occured over then weekend 3/16/02 what should I do ? Thank You for your help David

The police will not do anything and they will tell you it is a civil/contractual matter. You are best going to small claims court with an estimate of your damages -- unless the amount is higher. If small claims allows $5000 I'd go there and count your blessings that you don't really need to use a higher court. Bottom line -- never pay in full until you have inspected the entire job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back