Contract Labor - Nonpayment

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcdoctor

In May I agreed to do some work for a company that offer remote IT support. When it becomes necessary to send someone out on site, they contract out people or companies in the area of the business to do the work. They approached me with an offer to do some work for them, I signed a W9 along with a service agreement, billing and time sheet procedure, etc. I went to the business twice. Once in May and again in early June. I completed what as asked, submitted the time sheets, and awaited my check. The billing procedures stated that checks were cut the 1st and 15th of the month. When I contacted the person who gave me my assignments he stated that it took 30 days to get the checks cut. I waited the time out, and finally on August 6th with no payment still I contacted the billing department. I have no phone number, and even after inquiring about a phone contact I've only been given email and a standard mailing address. I sent both a letter and an email of inquiry and on Aug 12th received an email stating that I would get my check within 5 days and if I didn't to contact them back.

No check arrived so I contacted them on Aug 18th, and on Aug 22nd I was told they would direct deposit the funds into my bank account.

It's now Sept 4th and I still haven't received any funds in my bank or a check. I've attempted to contact them several more times but have received no response. I also contacted the person who gave me my assignments to ask him about the problem, and was told "Oh they send out 400 checks a month and sometimes problems just happen and if they are going to deposit it that takes awhile because the bank puts holds on it sometimes" Personally I've never had any issues with a direct deposit taking a couple of weeks, or simply not getting a check months after it was due to arrive. The person did promise to look into it, but stated that it wasn't really his department. I've gotten no contact from him either.

What are my options here? It's a small check. I only billed just under 6 hours worth of time, and the check should only be for approximately $290.00. I'm sure any kind of legal pursuit would probably cost me more than I got back, though the longer I've waited the more I consider it simply on principle...but I'm not sure what exactly what to do here. I'd prefer to just be paid for my time and move on.

I have copies of everything I signed and sent in, as well as copies of my time sheets and invoices submitted. I am in California, however the billing address I was given is in Sugarland, TX. So I'm not even sure which state laws would apply, or where to start here.

If you need additional information I'm more than willing to give it, I didn't include business name but I do have copies of every e-mail, and every document and can supply any of it on request.

Since you were a contractor as opposed to an employee your recourse is small claims court.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back